Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Center diff lock question on V8 4Runner

Re: Center diff lock question on V8 4Runner

Yes, all 4th gens have it. At least all 4wd, not sure about 2wd.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    Yes, all 4th gens have it. At least all 4wd, not sure about 2wd.
    Sweet! LOL. I'm learning so much about my 4Runner! Hahahaha!! I've been reading and watching YouTube vids on Toyota's ATRAC. Had no idea...I'm impressed. Can't wait to try it out. I've heard the noises at times when I'm wheeling, but as soon as the sound comes, I stop, then punch the accelerator to try and get myself out because I thought my truck was trying to tell me it's dying. Didn't know it was SUPPOSED to do that. I've been doing everything the opposite.
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

Quick question. Is ATRAC always on or only when I lock the center diffs?
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

I believe ATRAC is always on, but it's more of a low-speed helper. And the way to use it is to be gentle on the gas, and then when you hear the noise, as long as you have the proper throttle position, just let the ATRAC sense the slippage and go to work. It usually takes a second of the truck going nowhere and then just magically start progressing again. It's definitely gotten me through some tough situations and it only gets better as I get the feel for it. A lead foot is NOT the way to get ATRAC working for you!

That being said, a rear locker is probably my next purchase. A less expensive way to go is to find an electronic locking differential from an FJ and modding our axle to take it. Look around on tr4.com and the 120 forum and you'll find a couple of these e-locker mods. I believe this winds up being about half to 75% of the cost of an ARB. The only downside is that they're not quite as strong as an air locker. This is the route I'd like to go.

Anybody want to lend a hand on an e-locker install? I'll buy the beer!

JD, I might be up for that. I did mine like 5 years ago.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks for the info, JD! Hmmm... I'll have to look at the FJ locker option instead. Sounds interesting.

Sean, what's lifelike?

Nice, thanks Sean! I just need to find an FJ third now...
    On a related note, I really need to get out wheeling more often!

lifelike = stupid auto correct on my phone! i did mine like 5 years ago. it's a giant nightmare and sucks in every way possible. i'd still be up for it though, but only once i get my welder wired up and drill press set up.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    lifelike = stupid auto correct on my phone! i did mine like 5 years ago. it's a giant nightmare and sucks in every way possible. i'd still be up for it though, but only once i get my welder wired up and drill press set up.
    Hahahaha... You actually made me Google "lifelike" after I read your post! hahahaha. Whenever you guys are actually gonna do it, let me know. I'd like to stop by and hang out with you guys if I have the day off and see how it's done.

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydee914
    Nice, thanks Sean! I just need to find an FJ third now...
    On a related note, I really need to get out wheeling more often!
    Is the diff any different than the older taco and 4runner elockers? It would probably be easier to find an older one. I'm just not sure if the they used the same 8" rear diff or not
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast