Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Related Executive Orders signed 1/16/13

Gun Related Executive Orders signed 1/16/13

Here are the 23 executive orders signed today by President Obama. None of which will need to be voted on. They are mostly a feel good measure as none really accomplish anything, except possibly setting the footing for further efforts of gun control in the future. The only thing accomplished is naming a director for the BATFE, which has been without a chief for 6 years.

Gun Violence Reduction Executive Actions:
    1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
    2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
    3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
    4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
    5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
    6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
    7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
    8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
    9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
    10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make itwidely available to law enforcement.
    11. Nominate an ATF director.
    12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
    13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
    14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
    15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effectiveuse of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to developinnovative technologies.
    16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
    17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
    18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
    19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
    20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
    21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
    22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
    23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

And, here is a list of the things Obama wants to push through congress, which WILL have to be voted on.

Require criminal background checks for all gun sales.
    Reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban.
    Restore the 10-round limit on ammunition magazines.
    Protect police by finishing the job of getting rid of armor-piercing bullets.
    Give law enforcement additional tools to prevent and prosecute gun crime.
    End the freeze on gun violence research.
    Make our schools safer with more school resource officers and school counselors, safer climates, and better emergency response plans.
    Help ensure that young people get the mental health treatment they need.
    Ensure health insurance plans cover mental health benefits.

Discuss.

Also I want to encourage all of you to KEEP writing and calling and emailing your representatives at the state, and national level to keep fighting the good fight on our behalf and based on the 2nd amendment.

To that end, HERE is a link to a form letter that Ruger has made up and all you do is put in your name and address, and it will send it to all of your state and federal representatives. Pretty handy, and it couldn't be easier.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: Gun Related Executive Orders signed 1/16/13

I'm glad at least there's no EO that outright bans evil looking guns and normal capacity mags, but am not fooled into thinking the EO's aren't bad news. We all know they're not going to be implemented fairly and each will have their own anti gun agenda.

At least we have a fighting chance of blocking the bills in congress.

I used that ruger link a little while ago, it's awesome.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

They wont pass a gun ban, its political suicide and they know it. What the might do is chip away bit by bit. Obama, Biden and the usual gun grabbers are at the fore front trying to shove it down the throats of everyone-but so far they have little support it seems.

Seems Americans will not take this sort of thing laying down anymore. They let an AWB happen before and I dont think they will let it happen again. Several states have already said "no way jose" to allowing new federal gun laws to be legal in their state, as well as allowing searches and federal meddling in their states.

America has also spoken and bought guns like crazy with the recent talks of a ban coming up. So I very much think they wont want to try and confiscate them, that would be a death sentence in most cases.

We shall have to see how it all plays out, but so help them god if they pass anything-it could very well spark civil war II at this point.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

personally, I can't believe they don't do background checks on private/ gun show transfers of weapons. That is something that needs to change.

I think most of what is going on is fairly OK. The talk of more mental health services, and mental health figuring into a background check is fine in my book. the talk of "assault" weapons is deeply disturbing and completely misguided.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The assault weapons gig is just a crutch used to blame. The guns LOOK scary, how can a ruger mini 14 not be an assault rifle but an ar15 is? Hell they dont have a clue, but the AR looks scary b/c its black and military looking.

Most crimes are committed with handguns, not assault weapons as well. But of course that statistic is ignored. The way the gun grabbers see guns is they all look evil and scary b/c they dont know that guns are merely a tool. Its like the idiot who says "I dont like X' "have you ever tried X?" "no" "then how can you even know what X is like".

Argh this is making me very angry, I cant rant anymore.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I agree with Sean for the most part. I think having to go through a more thorough background check, and having more visibility with mental health issues in this process is a good thing.

Any of sort of ban on guns, magazine capacity, or requiring any new type of registration of non class 3 type items I wouldn't agree with. If it came down to it I'd rather have the useless 10 round ban than I would have to register what I own.

And to what CJM is saying... it's very frustrating, if not infuriating, the way the politicians and media spread misinformation about gun crime, and label things to get the most emotional effect on people. Government and media in cahoots is a very, very dangerous duo.

Just to clarify, there is no "gunshow loop hole". Any person buying a gun through a dealer must go through a background check (or CCW). Just because the dealer is selling at a gunshow, does not exempt them from this law.

If you are a private party, then you can sell a gun to another individual whether you're at a gunshow or not. Now this is also dependant on state laws too, because in CA, every gun must be transfered through a dealer, which means a background check.

Selling private party also does not exempt one from making sure the buyer is legal to own a firearm. You still have to verify the person can legally possess a firearm, although this can range from just asking the person if they're legal, or better yet, ask to see their CCW permit.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    personally, I can't believe they don't do background checks on private/ gun show transfers of weapons. That is something that needs to change.

I think most of what is going on is fairly OK. The talk of more mental health services, and mental health figuring into a background check is fine in my book. the talk of "assault" weapons is deeply disturbing and completely misguided.
    I agree. It maybe because I'm from CA and that's all I've known but it makes some sense to me.

It is a different world out here in AZ. There are people here who would go ballistic if you ask them to sign a bill of sale if you sell a gun to them. Others go ballistic if you even hint at agreeing to background checks for private sales. They believe it should be just like if you were to sell a baseball bat or a knife.

Not saying that I agree or disagree, but that's just how some people are where they're not used to firearms restrictions.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    I must admit I am a little disappointed by this. That's what I get for befriending folks from Cali though. (Just giving you a hard time Sean)

I really feel it is none of the .gov's business whom I sell what to. I do my legwork. Show me your CCW, bring me cash, and off you go. I only sell to CCW holders or close personal friends.

I know the .gov sees guns as scary and evil, but it is just a tool. Which I think most of us rationally minded people can agree on. I have lots of tools capable of inflicting harm or bodily injury on others. Should I also fill out a form whenever I sell my friends a knife, or a hammer, or a bat?

I think most of us have been presented with the statistics that more people are killed each year with clubs/hammers and bare fists than with the rifles they are trying to ban (I am not sure what this figure looks like if you include all firearms)

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    It is a different world out here in AZ. There are people here who would go ballistic if you ask them to sign a bill of sale if you sell a gun to them. Others go ballistic if you even hint at agreeing to background checks for private sales. They believe it should be just like if you were to sell a baseball bat or a knife.

Not saying that I agree or disagree, but that's just how some people are where they're not used to firearms restrictions.
    Bingo. Nail on the head, and all of that.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast