Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun Related Executive Orders signed 1/16/13

Re: Gun Related Executive Orders signed 1/16/13

I actually really agree with you, Chris. It is no business of the government what kind of firearms i own or sell or buy. same with my car, how much i drive, etc.

however, I recognize that in this world we live in, to let convicted felons legally purchase weapons is not going to fly, and really shouldn't. sure, some will buy them illegally, but when they get caught they get another felony conviction, on their way to 3 strikes.

At this point, we have to look at what is reasonable to the general public. unfortunately, the general public are idiots (as seen in the last 8 elections (maybe more) and the fact that honey boo boo is a hit show, among others).

hopefully someday we can fix this mess, but for the near future, we're pretty much screwed. I know that is kind of a defeatist attitude, but I think I am being a realist here.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I agree with both of you to an extent (Sean and Chris). I do think background checks should be required. I don't know the specifics of what goes down, but if all you're doing is having a criminal background check that isn't some flag sent to the gov saying so & so now owns an AR-15 or what have you. They're just doing a background check, not requiring registration of said firearms.

Not cool with registration, but think background checks should be mandatory.

Sorry I expect that from both you you.. that's what I get for being friends with someone in California and Tennessee.

background checks should be done. you know some will slip through the cracks, but there needs to be a cursory check to see if you are mentally unstable to have a firearm. i dont want a nutjob or 3 striker owning a gun as much as i want a nutjob driving a school bus full of kids.

i do agree that a firearm is a tool, but the sole purpose of a firearm is to inflict death and in a quick manner.

registration = hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    however, I recognize that in this world we live in, to let convicted felons legally purchase weapons is not going to fly, and really shouldn't. sure, some will buy them illegally, but when they get caught they get another felony conviction, on their way to 3 strikes.
    Well that's the thing. A convicted felon cannot legally purchase a firearm, no matter which state you are in. Buying a gun from a private party would still be illegal.

A firearm's sole purpose is not to inflict death. A firearm's purpose in modern polite society is to stop an attack, most times without anybody dying. In war, that might be different.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Problem is who determines you mentally unfit?

I cant count how many times people were committed or labeled mentally deficient b/c of actions of over zealous govt workers and Dr's.

Truthfully I feel that if everyone was armed like the swiss we wouldnt have any real issues. Who would dare attack if they knew they would get instantly ventilated?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

mental heath care is something this country has never gotten right. To be fare i dont know of any country that has. Right now we are on the back lash from the days of tons of state mental hospitals. Sure some were misdiagnosed but now they are just all on the street.

I hope it all shifts focus soon to mental heath care. I feel like the anti gun issue is loosing steam. It sounded like we would have sweeping gun control in writing within a week. Now all I read is about how the majority does not want it and the stats of the old ban doing nothing are widely known.

I too think it is pretty DOA.

for mental health restrictions, something like a doctor has deemed you an immediate threat to others. this will get rid of the worst of the worst, but you will always have those people that "just lose it" or are "temporarily insane". not much you can do about it...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12