Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MechanicallyDecline's 1990 4Runner repair(s) log

MechanicallyDecline's 1990 4Runner repair(s) log

This is my spot to post and document any and all issues that I come across with my 4Runner and need advice/help with. Instead of eventually making multiple threads, I figured 1 spot would be better.

Where to start, my oh my. I have 2 repairs that I need to address ASAP and a book full of smaller issues as I posted in my introduction thread.

First 2 main issues, timing chain guide, chain, H20 and oil pump replacement (guides are broke) and a very frustrating and helpless feeling of intermittent starting. Timing chain will be replaced once money is available for me to attempt this daunting chore. Research has already begun with documented how-to's as well online videos. The starting issue I need to figure out asap.

The family ran to the store tonight to get a few things, only to come back to the 4Runner and have it not start for 45 minutes. It can also happen 2x in a day, then not happen again for months.We've had this problem for a while and its time to tackle this issue. It can take anywhere from 5 minutes to leaving it over night and getting a ride from where ever for it to self fix itself. Things I can rule out, battery (new), battery cable and connectors (new), starter and alternator both tested fine.

When I turn the key to acc, as you will see in the attached video, lights come on, gauges all work but when I turn it to the start/on position, all I get is a click, 1 single click, (possibly from a relay?) and that's it. No starter involvement at all. If anyone can help me diagnosis this issue, I would greatly appreciate it. As it is, my wife is apprehensive driving it for the obvious reason of being stranded with our 17 mo. old.

I'm hoping to get this and the timing chain addressed before tackling any other issues with this vehicle. Thanks for any help you can give me.

http://youtu.be/XyN3SafhrHY

Re: MechanicallyDecline's 1990 4Runner repair(s) log

I had a similar issue with mine giving me only one click. It would start later that day. Turned out to be a loose ground at the battery. Maybe start by checking connections and making sure everything is tight and free from corrosion.

Also look onto replacing the starter contacts.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

What kind of starter is it? When was it last replaced or the contacts replaced? How did you test it?

In addition to the battery contacts that Sean suggested, I'd look heavily into the starter. Check the wires going to the starter too. Your lights dim when you try to start it, meaning something is trying to draw a lot of current. There's only one thing I can think of that would pull that much current and not start a fire, and that's the starter.

If it's not a toyota factory starter, replace it with a toyota factory starter. If it is a toyota starter, replace the contacts. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to check the battery, even though it's new. Might be a bad battery.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Smacked the starter w/a hammer while trying to start it yet? It kicked over the starter is no good.

Sure you also dont have some sorta alarm maybe cutting off the starter? those old aftermarket ones are junk and cause all kinds of issues.

Turning the key multiple times and it doesnt even try to crank or cranks but wont go enough is worn contacts. You can get the contacts at the dealer and its REALLY easy to replace them.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Pulled the starter, what a pita! Went to take the cover off to clean the contacts but encountered a bolt that couldn't clearance another part of the starter. Stripped and stuck.

From the looks of it, this starter has been smacked a few times before with a hammer. Going to go pick up a starter.

When I pulled the starter off, this cap came off, not sure where it goes. There's a connector inside it. Any ideas?

Pull a junkyard start if possible, the ones at the parts stores have failed me over and over and over. BUy some contacts online or at the dealer and betcha the junkyard one is as good as new.

I just picked one up with a lifetime warranty. Need to get it going today as its the only family vehicle. Still scratching my head on the plastic boot thing.

Out with the old, in the with the new. Once I got the new one in, connected the battery cable ground, then the signal wire (I think thats what its called, still had a couple loose wires left. One looks like it hasn't been connected to anything in a while, the 2nd is the same rubber boot cover looking thing with a wire inside the cap.

After I hooked up what I knew I needed to, I removed the negative ground from the side of the engine bay, took some 80 grit sand paper, cleaned off the copper/brass wire tab and sanded down the mounting surface on the bay. Reconnected the battery and started it up.

This is where I may not have done anything wrong but the rough start makes me think so.

http://youtu.be/y9b5MA8jQNM

Well your battery is going out more than like,y by the 3rd time you started it it barely had enough juice to crank over. It sounds to me like the starter might not be on all the way or something is wrong as it kinda grinds a bit when you turn it on and off.

Update, went to start it up today, battery acted like it was dead. Slow cranking and never starting. Grabbed the jumpbox and it acted the same way. Tested the battery on the multimeter and its at 12.45. Just for safe measure, put a neighbors battery in from his 94 4Runner that I know works, same thing.

Pulled the starter, guess I'll take it back for another one and see if that is the problem. Just for curiosity, I checked the flywheel as I had read that could be the problem but didn't see any broken teeth.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast