Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MechanicallyDecline's 1990 4Runner repair(s) log

Re: MechanicallyDecline's 1990 4Runner repair(s) log

No broken teeth is a good thing.

Id say the starter is DOA if anything have it checked if you can. But parts store starters never seem to last.

IDK what kinda starter you need (toy Part number) but I have a starter for a 3.4L that might work. It needs contacts but Id sell it for really cheap. I yanked it out of a good 97 4runner for the contacts.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quick parts # search shows there different starts. Took the starter in to have it tested and it came back fine. Gonna figure out how to pull the positive cable to the starter and replace that. Slightly frustrating.

What about the starter relay? could that have bad contacts in it?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Update.....Good news, and bad news...

Good news, I got it started. Went and replaced the + and - cables, hooked it all up and viola!

Bad news. When I went to start it the first time, nada. Just like I had posted in the video. Got out, checked all the cables, and the signal wire, got back in and it started. Hmmm. Got out, jiggled the signal wire, no start. Think thats where my problem was all along. Not quite sure the best way to go about fixing that as I have zero idea where it comes from, just to where it obviously ends.

Other bad news, I think I figured out where the rubber boot goes. Noticed I don't have any oil pressure reading on the gauge now. Thinking that's the sending gauge wire. If it is and there is suppose to be a connector on the unit, is the wire part replaceable by itself? Meaning, is there a connector I can just put on the unit and plug that wire into or is it a whole ball of wax type deal?

The white/gray wire, not sure what that has to do with still.

If its just the sensor gauge wire Id leave it be. The gauge is totally inaccurate anyways (mine is never high unless first warming up and then barely goes above middle when running). If you really want to fix it, cut the end off both ends and put a crimp on connection on them and wrap it up some electrical tape. Wanna get mroe fancy, solder the connectors on.

perhaps the signal wire is loose at the starter as obviously jiggling it at the starter and the truck started. Take the end off of it and see if you can crimp the ends tighter or replace it with a space type connector or something. Been there done that on various stuff before and it usually works.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    If its just the sensor gauge wire Id leave it be. The gauge is totally inaccurate anyways (mine is never high unless first warming up and then barely goes above middle when running). If you really want to fix it, cut the end off both ends and put a crimp on connection on them and wrap it up some electrical tape. Wanna get mroe fancy, solder the connectors on.
    Problem is, there isnt anything on the sending unit to connect it too. If there was a piece there, its MIA. Its the least of my worries at the moment, but it will bug me.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    perhaps the signal wire is loose at the starter as obviously jiggling it at the starter and the truck started. Take the end off of it and see if you can crimp the ends tighter or replace it with a space type connector or something. Been there done that on various stuff before and it usually works.
    I assume its a little loose, crimping it makes me a little nervous lol. What are you referring to with "space type connector"? I've kicked the idea around of trying to find one and possibly splicing the connector into the existing wiring.

Spade I mean.

That might work, I'll need to take another look. Dawned on me that crimping is out of the question since the connector is inside a plastic clip. I bet its a spade on the inside of the clip.

Gonna have to wait till my next day off looking for a connector. Until then, I think my alternator is going south. Noticed once the weather started getting colder, in the morning the 4runner had a hard time turning over. Throw the jump box on and jump it and it would be good the rest of the day. Same thing happened this am. Slow crank, checked the signal wire on the starter just to double check, same thing. Jump box and viola. Let it run for 5 minutes, turned it off, then started it again. Started right up. I had the alternator checked already but maybe once the 4runners good for the day it gives a false reading?

Battery is going south.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast