Thread: Hitch Mount Bike Rack

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hitch Mount Bike Rack

I've been into bicycles since I was a kid and have raced mountain bikes since before I had my drivers license. Once I got that license I got a truck and on it's roof a bike rack. I've had a rack on every vehicle I've owned and even my girl friend/wife's car. We take the bikes everywhere near and far and since I bike commute I use a rack at least 5 times a week.

For my long traveling trips I like to like to travel without the family. It's me being selfish but also lets me focus on what I'm doing. As such I ditch the two car seats and put the bike in the back of the 4Runner. I usually travel with at least one friend so their bike goes in the back too. This saves on wind resistance A LOT as well as interior noise. It also lessens then chance of crashing into the car port at the hotel.

I have a rear hitch cargo basket that I'd adapted to hold bikes and use it when I travel with the family. It gets the bikes off the roof and since I can't put them inside I put it on the back. Having it on the back is also nice when the bike is dripping mud or chain grease. You should see the stains in my paint from chain lube.

I've always been a Yakima fan and have 4 Yakima Steelhead fork mount bike carriers. They require removal of the front wheel and the bike is locked to the rack via the fork legs. I have always wanted to buy or build something that would allow me to put a Steelhead rack on something that mounts in the receiver.

Over the years I've sketched things and acquired little pieces to one day put something together. Recently I have done just that and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Here is what I started with. A Thule hitch rack from Craigslist.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 04-02-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Picture testing