Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: While the forum was down...

Sean, were you a web wheeler before? I guess I didn't pay that much attention. Also your post count, wowza!

yeah, I'm not sure how the hell the post count got so high. I think someone is playing a joke on me, then I remember I practically live here...

I still have a bunch of content to write up, but I was hoping to have that go up on the articles page (front page?) to draw in more traffic. For the time being I might just write it up and post it on the forums or in the blog.

I was thinking some gear reviews and some how-to articles including trip planning strategies. Anything specific I should look into and write about?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post

I was thinking some gear reviews and some how-to articles including trip planning strategies. Anything specific I should look into and write about?
    I like the trip planning strategies idea. I seem to spend a lot of time trying to find locations to go wheeling. I usually consult google first to see what online trip reports come up, then I usually hit my Backcountry Adventures Northern California book. I always wish I could collect people's GPS tracks, post them in google maps like I do with my Canada trips and compile a west-coast wheeling trail map to help you find trails wherever you may be traveling. Of course, I can never find the time to do such a thing.

In general, I find trip reports to be the most entertaining thing here, followed closely by tech write-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    yeah, I'm not sure how the hell the post count got so high. I think someone is playing a joke on me, then I remember I practically live here...

I still have a bunch of content to write up, but I was hoping to have that go up on the articles page (front page?) to draw in more traffic. For the time being I might just write it up and post it on the forums or in the blog.

The trip planning strategies is a good idea. What I would do is look through yours and other good trip reports and look for common themes and expand on those. Small write ups on these themes would make a good resource.
    Topics might include: Location, travel to location, logistics such as comms, fuel, food. Together it would be somewhat of a checklist before you hit the road. Part of the write up might include gear reviews or suggestions and even have quest writers.

For instance, food. You can describe your chuck box and contents. What is used, what isn't. What is necessary and what you can wing. Somewhere in there could be a link or guest spot from Overland Gourmet or something similar.

You could do the same for shelters/sleeping, recovery, first aid, navigation, tools/trail fixes, etc.

These seem to be items people, especially newbies, either overlook or spend a lot of time perfecting. Of course everyone has their preferences but UY could be a good depository.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I have an idea of where to start.

I think I will do short write ups and then eventually compile them into one big resource.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

New blog post: http://www.ultimateyota.com/entry.ph...-The-Checklist

Thought I would start with the checklist. It is probably the easiest way to make packing for a trip better.

Awesome blog post, Sean!

So, I have a dumb question: I noticed the forum auto-saves a post as I'm typing it out. Where does it get saved to? How do I retrieve it?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123