Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The quest for a good fuel can

so as an update there are now apparently CARB spouts made for the nato cans.
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...50-state-legal
    http://www.wavianusa.com/jerry-can-n...le-yellow.html

Right now its $24 for the nozzle but i'm not sure if you could ship the cans without a CARB nozzle. It at least opens the door to them becoming visually normal. Wavain is the only one making them right now. They are the high end cans so the can + nozzle is not cheap at ~$80. With any luck the cheaper cans will be follow suit and flood the market.

I'm probably not up on the latest, but what about these?

http://lexingtoncontainercompanysonl...jerry-can-20l/

I know they're not carb compliant, but 1) are they stamped Not for Fuel? 2) have people been getting tickets for using non carb nozzles?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

not sure if those are stamped or not. Wavian was stamping theres "not for fuel" for sale in communist states so chances are any $40-$50 dollar ones that offer shipping to california are Wavian stamped models. I haven't heard of any tickets or hassle anywhere nor have I experienced any myself although I generally dont encounter park staff nor have I been pulled over in the slow pig.

Well, my old nato can finally rusted through so I ended up buying the new cans from lexington container company in the link above. They seem to be well made and are not stamped. I almost got the green ones but then I read something about the law requiring them to be red, so I just went with red.

-------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I seen the above cans at HF.

I am enjoying my RotoPax. although expensive, they should last much longer than the metal cans. Not a fan of metal cans due to rust and spark...

I got lucky some how but all my Rotopax came with regular spouts hehe.
    If you dont get lucky, you can order the water spouts from RotoPax since they are suppose to be for water... I actually order one because i wasnt gonna use no carb spout.
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

The HF ones are Chinese. I don't have any experience with those but I assume rust and leaks are more of a concern. Rotopax is the way to go but I couldn't wait for them to lower their prices. Have they come down at all? Last I remember was ~$500 for 20 gallons!

oh and I think you are right on the red being a rule. I think its for transport on public roads they have to be red. I put DOT gasoline stickers on mine so I should be ok.

Red is the rule for gasoline. I remember reading about BLM rangers at KOH a couple years ago ticketing people for non compliant cans and jugs.

Good idea on the stickers. I think the rule on that is stamped or raised lettering but who's going to check? My metal can is from out of state and about 10 years old so it has nothing.

i dont think rotopax has changed in price or have discounts often...
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12