Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The quest for a good fuel can

The quest for a good fuel can

Fuel cans in Cali is a interesting thing. We all want a good can that will not leak or spill at a price we can afford. Cali complicates that with the CARB junk. Here is some basic info I found on a few of the favorites while trying to figure out what I wanted.

Rotopax CARB:
    Really the cream of the crop of expo fuel cans. The problem is that a 4 gallon Rotopax costs $99 so that puts them out of the running for me although they seem perfect. I dont know anything about the CARB nozzles or replacement seals, but I have read no complaints and alot of people own them. Roughly $500 to carry 20 gallons

Scepter military:

these are the military cans and they were not a option when I went looking last, but they are finally available again for about $50 each with new seals. The other part is how you will be able to get them into cali since they are not CARB approved. My experience with them in the military is that they will need some upkeep and the seals should be replaced depending on frequency of use. A cap wrench should be used to ensure they dont leak but I have never used one with a new seal so the wrench may be overkill. Without upkeep the seals leak as anything and the cap retainers break. Roughly $200 for good condition cans with a bit more then 20 gallons total

Scepter civilian CARB:

I have two of these and while they are not built as tough as a military version I can say they are thicker plastic then the average lawn mower can. Also I have to say I have never spilled a drop of gas with one, but my CARB nozzle is no longer offered so the new ones may be different. The nozzle itself is flimsy plastic and has to be handled with some care as breakage seems plausible, but I have not seen reports of one actually breaking. New seals are not available as far as I know, but the price is much cheaper then other options. ~$108 for a bit more then 20 gallons.

Jerry cans:

I do not know much about these other then the screw on top needs a tool or at least blade screw driver to hammer them tight. Seals are replaceable. Most available ones seem to be clones manufactured by blitz, and considered good though prone to rust. Again these are not CARB. $unknown for 20 gallons

Nato can:

These are a real crap shoot on quality and price. They have been imported since WW2 and range from brand new to nearly used up originals. Clones are also available and range in reviews from great to Chinese. Seals are available. I can tell you I kept 4 inside my truck all weekend and could not smell gas. The powder coating rubbed through in several places but they were lashed together and clanking against each other the whole trip. I am not too impressed with the nozzles and think that those super siphons are probably the way to go. There are company's shipping to California with two methods...One is to stamp into the steel "not for fuel" the other is to simply put a sticker that say "for water use only". My research at the time said that the stamped ones were of higher quality but since then the pictures I've seen make me think they are both made by the same company. $60-$200 for a bit more then 20 gallons
    Last edited by troyboy162; 04-04-2013 at 01:02 AM.

This just might be of interest to you...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/180945468904...84.m1438.l2649
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

those are sweet but not for sale to Kalifornia. I ended up with the nato cans. I am pretty happy with them although I will have to keep on top of maintaining the paint and thats a pain.

I've always wanted a Scepter becuase I have two of their MWC's. They are heavy but very tough. I own a non CARB jerry can and it's only alright. The screw lid has a large seal but by design it doesn't cover the vent hole. As such it wants to bubble when full. It also lets out fumes.

We don't do much travel in Northern Ca that requires fuel cans. I know I will need to one day and would not want to bring one of the 6 small lawn cans I have.

I forgot where it was I read it but there were some guys with non CARB cans that were pulled over because of the non CARB and they were on the outside of the vehicle. Husker, dump cans have the same caution. Unless you are on the way to a race or something similar they are illegal to transport in CA.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 04-04-2013 at 07:55 AM.

I read about that too. I think it comes into play on the moto type cans since its obvious they were not produced before the CARB rules where as the Nato/jerry cans are 50-60 years old and grandfathered.

So is it like a gun? Grandfathered? I bought my Jerry can and a couple of spouts out of state. I lives in my shed and is used for lawn and chain saw equipment. I have a buddy that races shifter karts and he uses those moto style dump cans and says that he's gotten questioned about it at a toll bridge.

I'd like to think that if I need to bring fuel I'd just bring the jerry can but I don't like the fact that it is metal. I'd rather have a MFC that is plastic and won't tear the crap out of my other gear. I lost interest when I'd see them go for $100 used. That and that it would sit around mostly unused at my house.

How much fuel do you usually pack for a trip? You gave dollar amounts for 20 gallons in the above posts but I'm sure you don't carry that much. It seems like you guys do trips that always require at least 5 gallons for safety. If I were you I'd probably bit the bullet and get a Roto can and look at it like an investment. I've always like their shape and size as it makes it easier to store and to dispense. Problem is it's probably so good you'd want more than one and then probably some water cans and then you'd be poor.

Best i can under stand what ive read, old cans are still ok to use but new non carb cans are not. So technically these are my old cans repainted.

I chose 20 gallons since that is the max i ever expect to need for dream trips to death valley. I dont expect to be 20 away from a gas station but i dont want any hour long side trips to fuel up. I only get about 11 to 12mpg offroad and probably worse loaded for long term camping.

I definitely though hard about rotopax but im cheap lol.

I don't frequent enough of the other forums often enough to know about group buys but maybe we should look into one. Heck if you guys might buy 10+ gallons of cans the total purchased might be high enough to make it worth while. I'd be in for one.

This might have already been done before. If it is hopefully there is an idea of prices and success of the GB.

For my recent trips to the Mojave Road and DV, I wound up just buying four 2.5 gallon cans from Pep Boys (stupid anti-spill spouts are worthless) and throwing them on the roof. I wasn't too crazy about it at first, but it worked out ok. I'd like a better solution eventually, so this thread is a nice resource.

While I was searching around for fuel cans, I found some cans similar to the Rotopax ones on the Gander Mountain website.

http://search.gandermountain.com/?D=...&Ntt=fuel+pack

Gander Mountain used to have the 4 gallon cans that were a bit cheaper than the Rotopax cans, but I don't see them listed anymore. Gander Mountain also has some nice boat fuel tank options that may work for permanent auxiliary fuel tanks.

Something else I considered was throwing a boat tank on the roof. Bass Pro sells a fairly low profile 8 gallon one (the 10.75H one):

http://www.basspro.com/Moeller-Marin...SSSELL_PRODUCT
    Last edited by DHC6twinotter; 04-04-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I have the metal Blitz cans which I don't think are available any more. They have a large opening and a metal screw in cap with an O ring. they also have plastic spouts that leak everywhere. I use a super siphon to transfer fuel.

I am looking at getting those Nato cans that Troy mentioned. 200 bucks on 4 is not a bad price (i paid 50 and 60 before tax for my 2 metal cans) but I don't really need 4. If I could split the order, that would be great!

I will look into getting a GB going though.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast