Thread: The quest for a good fuel can

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The quest for a good fuel can

Fuel cans in Cali is a interesting thing. We all want a good can that will not leak or spill at a price we can afford. Cali complicates that with the CARB junk. Here is some basic info I found on a few of the favorites while trying to figure out what I wanted.

Rotopax CARB:
    Really the cream of the crop of expo fuel cans. The problem is that a 4 gallon Rotopax costs $99 so that puts them out of the running for me although they seem perfect. I dont know anything about the CARB nozzles or replacement seals, but I have read no complaints and alot of people own them. Roughly $500 to carry 20 gallons

Scepter military:

these are the military cans and they were not a option when I went looking last, but they are finally available again for about $50 each with new seals. The other part is how you will be able to get them into cali since they are not CARB approved. My experience with them in the military is that they will need some upkeep and the seals should be replaced depending on frequency of use. A cap wrench should be used to ensure they dont leak but I have never used one with a new seal so the wrench may be overkill. Without upkeep the seals leak as anything and the cap retainers break. Roughly $200 for good condition cans with a bit more then 20 gallons total

Scepter civilian CARB:

I have two of these and while they are not built as tough as a military version I can say they are thicker plastic then the average lawn mower can. Also I have to say I have never spilled a drop of gas with one, but my CARB nozzle is no longer offered so the new ones may be different. The nozzle itself is flimsy plastic and has to be handled with some care as breakage seems plausible, but I have not seen reports of one actually breaking. New seals are not available as far as I know, but the price is much cheaper then other options. ~$108 for a bit more then 20 gallons.

Jerry cans:

I do not know much about these other then the screw on top needs a tool or at least blade screw driver to hammer them tight. Seals are replaceable. Most available ones seem to be clones manufactured by blitz, and considered good though prone to rust. Again these are not CARB. $unknown for 20 gallons

Nato can:

These are a real crap shoot on quality and price. They have been imported since WW2 and range from brand new to nearly used up originals. Clones are also available and range in reviews from great to Chinese. Seals are available. I can tell you I kept 4 inside my truck all weekend and could not smell gas. The powder coating rubbed through in several places but they were lashed together and clanking against each other the whole trip. I am not too impressed with the nozzles and think that those super siphons are probably the way to go. There are company's shipping to California with two methods...One is to stamp into the steel "not for fuel" the other is to simply put a sticker that say "for water use only". My research at the time said that the stamped ones were of higher quality but since then the pictures I've seen make me think they are both made by the same company. $60-$200 for a bit more then 20 gallons
    Last edited by troyboy162; 04-04-2013 at 01:02 AM.