Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Rock Canyon State Park and Last Chance Canyon (CA)

the white one I think is old dutch cleanser mine. It has a pretty cool history http://deathvalleyjim.com/2012/04/10...hy-camp-32812/
    The Old Dutch Cleanser Mine began operation under Cudahy Packing Company in 1923. The primary mineral that was mined was pumicite, which is a variety of pumice (highly pressurized rock that is violently ejected from a volcano, it is formed when lava and water are mixed). Cudahy Packing utilized this material for the manufacturing of Old Dutch Cleanser, a domestic kitchen and bathroom scouring powder that was highly popular and well know in the USA. Old Dutch Cleanser is still manufactured today, however the mining location for pumicite was relocated in 1947.

Yes, it was Old Dutch. Very clean and untouched looking.

I could have used some of that Old Dutch Cleanser after spending the night sleeping in a sand storm. I had my sleeping bag pulled over my head and was using it as a respirator. I almost always sleep in the 4Runner and now I know why.

The trip was awesome, a big thanks to Mike to pulling it together and to his wife Marin for watching his kids while he was out playing. The trails were a nice mix of a little rock crawling and fast desert washes. Stuart, one of the 4Runner newbies on the trip, had the biggest grin on his face the entire time--I think he's pretty happy with his 4Runner after coming from a rough Jeep CJ7.

For being a bachelor party, the guys were pretty easy on me. I had to drive around with the pole dancer air freshener and a blow up doll in the back and they got all of the girls at Hooters to humiliate me in front of restaurant, but like Mike said, I didn't wake up naked and duct-taped to a boulder, so that's good. Once we were back at camp we were pretty much in survival mode dealing with the wind. We have the tequila and peanuts to thank for that.

Got any pics to add?

You pretty much covered it, but here are a few more.

Navigator
    I saw no pics of a 2nd gen Also, I know how you feel Ken! I was afraid I'd wind up in Oz the first night on the Mojave road... got all of 2 hours of sleep that night from the tent whipping in the wind and sand coming through the vents, sucks don't it?

Looked like a really fun trip! Thanks for posting guys
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale View Post
    I saw no pics of a 2nd gen Also, I know how you feel Ken! I was afraid I'd wind up in Oz the first night on the Mojave road... got all of 2 hours of sleep that night from the tent whipping in the wind and sand coming through the vents, sucks don't it?

Looked like a really fun trip! Thanks for posting guys
    I should have taken a photo of what my tent looked like in the morning. Imagine laying out all of your stuff, then having someone scoop about 10 shovel fulls of sand on top of everything, that's what it looked like.

The 2nd gen stayed in camp and they rode with me. While we're on that subject, the 2nd gen won't go into 4WD. I think that means one of the two VSVs is bad...can someone remind me how to test them?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    ... While we're on that subject, the 2nd gen won't go into 4WD. I think that means one of the two VSVs is bad...can someone remind me how to test them?
    When my 2nd gen wouldn't go into 4wd it was just a broken joint on the transfer case shift linkage. The 4wd light came on on my dash, and everything, but no power to the front. Could it be something simple like that? Otherwise I'm not much help as I never had issues with it.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

His linkage works but the front ADD does not connect. One of the two 4WD VSVs went out on my 2nd gen so I will start there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12