Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY Fiberglass M416/M100 info...Its not out yet

I am positive there is an old Tetris arcade cabinet somewhere with Mark's high score still on it!

For my M762, It was more cost effective to replace the axle than find bearings for the original one. New bearings were over 100, new axle, with everything but brakes (but has the flanges for it) was 180 ish. Uses standard bearings that cost about 15/side. Got it with 5 on 5.5 hubs to match the stock wheels, but could easily get 6 on 5.5 to match my wheels.

For wheels, I would have to match what is on my truck. Last time I purchased (5 or 6 years ago?) they were 80/wheel. Finding a used wheel is impossible. Tires are 250 each, that is about 700 for tires and wheels, mounted and balanced.

As much as I like saving money, I rather have new tires. My biggest example comes from JD's tire mishap in Rattlesnake Canyon. Americas tire, where I go, offers the free replacement for a small fee at the time you buy. If I buy used tires, I will be buying new tires to replace them soon enough after trail damage (which I feel is more likely on the trailer, since it can be controlled less in terms of avoiding debris on the trail and the road).

As for the fiberglass tub, I still rather have a steel tub. Trailers have a habit of sucking face with rocks and trees, and I rather be pounding out dents that cutting out damaged fiberglass and redoing it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Just read lances post. Is yours a dexter axle as well? A little googling has shown they have nice stuff at good prices.

Got mine from http://www.trailerpart.com/ They were good to deal with, but it took a while to get.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Long long range radar for me but the guy is trying to expand into teardrop trailers and popups. Very interesting territory since a nice teardrop usually costs a first born child.
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ing-components

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    Long long range radar for me but the guy is trying to expand into teardrop trailers and popups. Very interesting territory since a nice teardrop usually costs a first born child.
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ing-components
    Ya know I would rather build my own trailer personally. Military trailers are great for offroading but I was thinking of building or modifying my own camping trailer for the family. Doubt I could do it now.....but down the road I think that would be an awesome project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

After having owned my military trailer for a while, I rather build my own as well. Some day I will sell this one off and build one exactly to my specs. For the time being though, it will have to do. There are some changes I want to make though, hopefully this summer I will get some of them done before pismo and the desert season.

It would be a fun project and I could imagine it being less stressful since you're not down a vehicle during the construction. The socal teardrops are 10k-17k(new) and I would consider them the standard. I'd guess a similar unit would be 5k(possibly lots less if you used cheaper materials) with this method.

I think a lot of those teardrops are made with little ingenuity as far as how things are arranged plus I have yet to see a teardrop made for a family.

Pretty sure you could incorporate some navy regs on bunks and squeeze at least two in the front bulkhead and then a double size bed on the other while still leaving room for the kitchen in the trunk.

Lol there I go trying to figure it out like I'm going to build next week or something. The tear drop is a very flexible design though and easy to really make an easy to tow trailer out of.

Aluminum for the frame and then that poly board laminate for the curved parts. I do believe I would use as little wood as possible and try to use fiberglass instead.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

That's not a bad little idea. Combo trailer

In Progress: