View Poll Results: Whats YOUR verdict on sea foam?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Would use it again

27 93.10%
  • Would never use it

2 6.90%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sea Foam GOOD? BAD?

Re: Sea Foam GOOD? BAD?

Quote Originally Posted by 97t4rnr
    I used it on my 97 4Runner and my dads 97 4Runner, didn't notice any improvement, even though most everyone else does. Anyway, if it started running really bad, I might try it again.
    Do you guys run premium fuel? What brand?
    How much Seafoam did you use and what did you do with it?
    Did you track your fuel mileage before and after?
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I actually run what the yota calls for. Regular Unleaded. I need to start running Cheveron only in my engines But is there a better brand than that? I heard it was a waist to run with a higher octane. Is this true?
    Miles a.k.a.(short rod)<br />97 4runner limited<br />84 4runner SR5<br />Location: Athens ,Ga

afterwards you may want to change out your sparkplugs, as the breakup of all that carbon build up may foul your plugs
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Yeah I was going to do all of this and then change my oil,plugs,wires etc...so you are saying that it will smoke a lot when I crank it?
    Miles a.k.a.(short rod)<br />97 4runner limited<br />84 4runner SR5<br />Location: Athens ,Ga

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    I used it on my 97 4Runner and my dads 97 4Runner, didn't notice any improvement, even though most everyone else does. Anyway, if it started running really bad, I might try it again.
    Do you guys run premium fuel? What brand?
    How much Seafoam did you use and what did you do with it?
    Did you track your fuel mileage before and after?
    I run regular unleaded, as does my dad.
    I followed the directions on the can. Had the predicted white smoke and near stall with 2nd round. Also added a can to the gas tank. Did start easier, but no improvement in mileage.
    As for tracking mileage, I track it at every fill up. I typically fill up with Chevron or Marathon stations.
    1997 4Runner SR5 4WD / 4&quot; deck plate mod-REMOVED / 01 Tundra Wheels / Cup Holder mod / 285/75/16 Pro Comp AT / SS SYSTEM 1.1 / <br />01 Overhead Console mod

I heard it was a waste to run with a higher octane. Is this true?
    Not entirely. There are a few brands which run additive cleaners in their gas and thus they add progressively more cleaner the higher the octane goes. The cleaner and octane are added to the gas as it is pumped into the main tank at the gas station (the trucks don't have seperate compartments for each type of gas, instead they mix it onsite depending on the grade needed). Just because you have a higher octane rating also doesn't mean you have more cleaners in the gas.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I run regular unleaded, as does my dad. I followed the directions on the can. Had the predicted white smoke and near stall with 2nd round. Also added a can to the gas tank. Did start easier, but no improvement in mileage. As for tracking mileage, I track it at every fill up. I typically fill up with Chevron or Marathon stations.
    It is possible your engine may already be clean thus no improvement was seen. Chevron gas especially is known for having additional cleaners added to the gas. If you're getting 21-23 MPG highway, you're probably running as efficiently as you could and your engine is probably quite clean.

Putting high octane fuel in a non hi-performance engine is a waste of money. The more octane a fuel has means that it is much harder to burn to release the energy contained in it. This is why higher octane fuels are used in race engines and piston engine aircraft. A standard 22re is not going to run any better on high octane fuel unless you have raised the compression ratio by head work or other engine power adders. I have worked in the automotive industry for over 12 years and read many articles on this debate to all of which show carbon fouled spark plugs from incomplete burn on a basic engine. Sorry for the rambling, just hear this alot and want to put in my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by partsman93274
    Putting high octane fuel in a non hi-performance engine is a waste of money. The more octane a fuel has means that it is much harder to burn to release the energy contained in it. This is why higher octane fuels are used in race engines and piston engine aircraft.
    It's true that most "regular" engines probably can't take advantage of high-octane fuel, but your description of why that is not particularly accurate. An octane rating is a rating of how resistant a fuel is to pre-ignition brought on by heated compressed air. Higher octane fuels auto-ignite at higher temperatures, meaning that using a higher octane fuel allows for a higher compression ratio in an engine or forced induction. "How hard it is to burn" is somewhat simplistic, because low and high octane fuels are quite easy to ignite with a spark plug.

A standard 22re is not going to run any better on high octane fuel unless you have raised the compression ratio by head work or other engine power adders.
    True, because a higher compression ratio allows for a more efficient burn (and more power), but also requires a higher octane fuel so the engine doesn't have problems with pre-ignition.

I have worked in the automotive industry for over 12 years and read many articles on this debate to all of which show carbon fouled spark plugs from incomplete burn on a basic engine.
    Premium fuel will not cause sparks plugs to foul in an engine that doesn't need it. All it will do is lighten your wallet more than necessary.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12