Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BaoFeng UV-5R 136-174/400-480 MHz Dual-Band DTMF CTCSS DCS FM Ham Two Way Radio

If only there was some information here on UY. Oh wait: http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...ndheld-UHF-VHF

Programming radios aren't that hard. I've tried cables and Chirp but have the best luck just punching stuff in. It's a good skill to have as well because learning how to use your radio, especially in an emergency, on the trail is not good.

For the most part new HAMs don't even know what to program into their radio. I've helped others with their radios that had been programmed or cloned by others and it's a sh!t show.

Buy the radio, use it, figure out what you want and need on it and then program it. Setting squelch breaks, power, frequencies, etc are much easier once you have some understanding of what is what and how the radio works.

the programming sequence for the Baofeng is unnecessarily complex. I got the cable so I could put the local repeaters in, as well as repeaters I might use on a trip (I might reprogram if going to a specific location, say Oregon/Washington).

Beyond those repeaters, I am not sure what to put in the program besides the wx channels and our commonly used channels on the road.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Wouxon are anoiying to program with the buttons too. I'd need a cheat sheet for my Kenwood as well though at this point lol.

I keep user manuals in the vehicle too. Always nice to have around.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I made mini manuals for my radios along with mini repeater books for multiple states. They live in a folder under the seat.

Navigator
    I may have to swoop on this $40 HAM... after hearing how clear and nice Sean's was in the desert, I now officially hate CB as well... haha.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

yep! you need to pick one up! everyone does!

this site is a must as well:

http://www.miklor.com/

I drank the kook-aid as well. I have the same radio, and I'm practicing up for the license test right now...

about time! good on ya JD!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast