Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BaoFeng UV-5R 136-174/400-480 MHz Dual-Band DTMF CTCSS DCS FM Ham Two Way Radio

Thanks Sean, I think I will just get one when I buy a new radio. If all goes well, in the end, i will have two working radios and a cable. Will probably wait until the first of next year. Need to use any extra $ (haha, like I have any) for any guns I need to get before the end of SSE and almost everything falls off "the roster"
    My signature

Sounds good. If you change your mind, let me know.

I plan on buying another soon, especially with the price so low. It's great when working on the house and needing to communicate 50 feet to say that, YES, THE PIPE IS LEAKING!!!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Another vote for the 82. Much better radio.

Actually go for the 82c. It's on Amazon for $55 and is about the best Baofeng radio you can get. It;s electronics are more robust and most likely more resistant to whatever messed up your current radio.

Did you say you were going to have someone flash your current radio? Any luck with that?
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 10-11-2014 at 08:23 PM.

You know what they say, "You get what you pay for" " buy once, cry once". Rugged radios is posed to take advantage of idiots that live by those mottos. These radios are obviously 2.5 times better then the baofengs... Free ear mic included so you dont have to source that $1.99 (+free shipping) piece yourself from dealextreme

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.ph...mvr8mijp1b6pn3

I'm I missing something about the RH-5R? Other than being camo and pre-programmed it's $50 more than a regular UV-5R.

I recently bought a UV-82 and UV-82C. The C wasn't going to work out and now I understand a bit more about the FCC compliant issue and where they would work. I thought you could over ride some things with programming but that wasn't the case. I sold it locally on CL for what I bought it for so no harm. The regular 82 though for $37 (or the camo version for $45) is very impressive.

I've been playing around with it for about a month now and I like it. So much I sold my Yaesu and am going to buy at least one more 82, but most likely 2 more. The one I have actually receives better than the Yaesu and has more features that I need. It's much lighter duty but I was never rough with the more commercial one so I'm hoping I'll be ok. For what I got for my FT-60 I bought a UV-82, spare battery, battery eliminator, 771 antenna, SMA adapter and speaker mic with $50 left over.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    I'm I missing something about the RH-5R? Other than being camo and pre-programmed it's $50 more than a regular UV-5R.
    not missing anything really. They even talk about all the accessories THEY have had made for the radios lol. A sucker is born every minute and our sport if full of them. Sometimes I think about buying some MV-50s and painting them Land rover green. Have a new label to slap on them and watch people line up to buy my "expo rated, super high volume, deluxe, electro-mechanical, tire filler."

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    Sometimes I think about buying some MV-50s and painting them Land rover green. Have a new label to slap on them and watch people line up to buy my "expo rated, super high volume, deluxe, electro-mechanical, tire filler."
    Paint it Imperial Jade Mica and put a 4Runner emblem on it and then we can talk. :-)

^^ha.

I've seen some Baofengs poop the bed real quick and others rock out. I do like the fact you can get tons of accessories and not break the bank. We're road tripping with two cars for the holiday and I have my wife's car set up with an HT. There is a 1/4 wave mag mount on the roof with the coax run under the carpet. Her center console has a power outlet so the HT is using it through the battery eliminator, coax run under the seat to the console and a speaker mic coming out from the notch in the console lid. No muss, no fuss. All anyone can see is the mic and the radio turns on with the ignition so she doesn't have to worry about button pushing. Now we have coded TX and RX comms.

There have been two 5R that lost function among my mine friends, but at the price point its kinda expected and they are in harsh conditions to boot. The two problem units had issues early and the ones that are good to go are still doing well.

kinda drifting off topic but the HP version is interesting. Its supposedly 8watts on high. Not enough to double your range, but its nice to see it available although a little pricy yet. I assume it has the 82 guts, but its hard to say.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PTJ3LCG?psc=1

I'm not sure what guts it has but I hear it plows through battery. I've used 5R's but haven't owned one. The ones Ive used get pretty hot and I assume the 8 would too. Heat kills radios of all types.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast