Thread: 07-13 FJC Headlight Recall, but don't worry! You probably don't want it fixed!

07-13 FJC Headlight Recall, but don't worry! You probably don't want it fixed!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/05/t...ht-headlights/

Now, hold on. This recall isn't quite as serious as it sounds. Yes, Toyota is recalling 11,489 FJ Cruiser models from the 2007 to 2013 model years, and yes, it's because the vehicles, as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration states, "fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108, 'Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.'" But read the fine print and you'll see the catch: This recall is only for vehicles fitted with the automaker's auxiliary lighting kit that can be mounted to the front bumper.

Basically, the auxiliary lamp assemblies use 55-watt bulbs, and when these are turned on in conjunction with the upper beam headlamps, it's a pretty blinding sight. NHTSA states that excessively bright lights can blind other drivers, increasing the risk for a crash.

To remedy the situation, Toyota will replace the 55-watt bulbs with cooler 35-watt units. The recall is expected to begin later this month. Scroll down for the full details in the NHTSA report.

So basically, they will end up replacing lamps with lower wattage units on something that really should only be used offroad anyway.

I am wondering how many people will actually go get the recall done.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

That is not going to be the complete fix, we haven't received a final word as to what the fix will be, we only received the piliminary notice last week....
    I don't trust this blog anymore, someone sent me an article that stated the 4Runner and FJ cruiser would be discontinued in 2014 (highly doubt it, since this blog also posted an article about the FJ being discontinued in 2010...)

What I don't understand is Jeeps have similar lamps on there bumpers, I presume they are 35 watt then.

Those particular auxiliary lamps are also set up to come on with the high beams only when the switch for the lamps is also on as well.
    So its not just the lamps alone don't comply but the combination of both the lamps and the high beams.

it is sort of stupid though, because those lamps are designed for off road use. Also, shouldn't your high beams be off when other drivers are present? that is what I was taught, seems to be common sense (oh wait...) A better fix would be eliminating the high beam tie in and warning drivers they are for off road use only.

as for autoblog, this story relies on the press release from NHTSA:

Report Receipt Date: APR 25, 2013
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V163000
    Component(s): EXTERIOR LIGHTING
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 11,489

All Products Associated with this Recall
    2007-2013 TOYOTA FJ CRUISER

Manufacturer: Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing

SUMMARY

Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2007-2013 FJ Cruiser vehicles manufactured January 25, 2006 through February 23, 2013 and equipped with a Toyota Auxiliary Driving Lamp Kits mounted to the front bumper. These lamp assemblies include 55 watt bulbs and due to this wattage, the combination of the upper beam headlamps plus the auxiliary lamps are too bright and exceed the maximum light output allowed for an upper beam headlamp. Therefore, these vehicles fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108, "Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment."

CONSEQUENCE

Excessively bright lamps may temporarily blind oncoming drivers, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY

Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will replace the 55 watt bulbs with 35 watt bulbs, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in late May 2013. Owners may contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331.

NOTES

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
    and their model decision speculation is usually based on some other publication, always cited, and always mentions that it is speculation and not a firm corporate decision.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

ill pull up the prelimanary notice i received this week and see if i over read that fix

I've only seen a handful of FJCs with those lights anyway. 11,500 vehicles is less than 6% of the 07-12 US sales figures.

Double checked the preliminary notice going out to Customers and all the techs.
    Toyota currently DOES NOT have a Remedy for this repair.

The 35 watt bulb replacement is coming somewhere out of the blue but its not from the notice Toyota has sent out it its customers or it's techs.

I too have only seen a handful come through the shop so I am not too worried I just wanted to be accurate on the information being handed out.

I don't think many will be doing anything about it, most FJs are heavily modified anyway with many auxiliary lights not from factory, those will not be covered and should be addressed depending on state and federal laws.
    (i.e. here in PA, all off-road lights have to have covers on them when the vehicle is on the road.)