Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice, shopping for a new/used family car

Need advice, shopping for a new/used family car

As many of you know, we have had our share of vehicle problems (at one time, all 4 of my vehicles broke down in one week), and we are needing to get ourselves a new or used family vehicle. We have been borrowing my parent's 2000 Passat, so we have discovered that we can easily get away with a small 4 door car as a family car.

I am leaning for a low mileage used car, 4 door, gets good gas mileage, possibly a wagon or hatchback, and something that is known for reliability. We still have the tacoma for camping, snow trips, etc... and the 4runner will eventually get fixed, so I don't have to worry about this being used for anything other than hauling us and maybe some luggage around. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I have not paid attention to these types of vehicles in a long time.

I would also be interested in new vehicles, but we are also going to possibly start the process of looking to buy a house, so I am leary of a big car payment. If I did go new, I might lean more towards hybrids like the new big prius. Anyways, any ideas on new would be helpful too.

We are kind of on a time crunch, so I greatly appreciate any advice. We are using a rental for right now and low on browsing time. I am super busy with work, which makes this slightly less painful, but it also means that we don't have a lot of free time to be looking, not to mention, dragging two kids around car lots is not that fun. We don't have a lot of free cash to buy private party, so we are pretty much stuck with car lots and financing, so any advice on buying used from lots would help too.
    Thanks guys!
    My signature

If I were in the market for a non-pricey new car I would look to the new Ford Focus. I drove it and it's surprisingly nice.

If you are going midsize and new, the new accord is my vote. The new Mazda 6 and ford fusion are both very nice as well.

Compact, don't waste your time on the civic and corolla. Civic is a big box of meh and the corolla is really old, with a new model coming next year. Focus is nice, and would be my pick. Everyone loves the Chevy cruze. I don't.

Used, anything Honda or Toyota will be fine. To me, used car prices are so inflated, I would probably buy new if I could. Otherwise, the last gen civic was nice 06-11 I think. Dad liked his before it was toatled.

I like Subaru but the cvt or ancient 4spd auto is a deal breaker.

I'll keep thinking about it and post more.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

As Sean said, the new Accord is really nice and the interior was massively upgraded from previous models and now looks very much like our 2012 Acura.

I'd agree with Sean and Ken. The new Accord is really nice, and it's a vehicle I would seriously consider if I was in the market. Highway EPA estimates are identical for the V6 and I4 models, although the I4 does a bit better in the city.

The Mazda 6 is supposed to be getting a diesel soon. Might be a pretty good car.

The Focus hatchback is another car I'd consider, and the new Rav4 is really nice (imo). Subaru Outbacks are nice, but like Sean mentioned, your stuck with a CVT or 4 spd auto. Some of the models have a manual tranny, and you could go with the H6 engine that comes with a 6spd auto, but then your mpg drops. The Venza might be worth looking at too.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

As far as wagons go, there isn't much to choose from. Audi dropped their A4 wagon with the same fate for the BMW 3-series wagon, the Jetta wagon has reliability issues, the Subarus aren't made super well as of recent, which pretty much leaves the Acura TSX wagon and the Dodge 300 wagon. There are a few more options above $50k like the Mercedes E-class wagon, CTS wagon and Audi All-Road. Americans aren't buying wagons, so there are very few options.

Edit--Dodge dropped the 300 wagon. "Those who were wanting a return of the Chrysler 300/Dodge Magnum wagon might have to let those dreams drop. Chrysler-Lancia CEO Saad Chehab told Autocar there will no Chrysler 300 Wagon. The reason is due to “sales in the US for estates are too slow to justify the development costs,” even though the previous 300 wagon was popular.

I have to add that I would stay away from the VWs. I have seen too many problems to recommend them to a family. If it was just you, and you had the ability to fix little stuff and have down time for it, maybe, but as it stands, they get a thumbs down from me.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    the corolla is really old, with a new model coming next year.
    That sounds like a good thing because that means they've got all the bugs worked out.

However, I'd look for something bigger for a family. We've got an 02 corolla which is smaller than the current version, but even for us with no kids, it's too small.

Personally, I wouldn't get anything with a CVT (other than a prius), a VW or an Audi. We'll most likely replace the corolla with a prius, someday.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

FWIW, my dad also really loves his Kia. It is wonderful to drive, comfortable, sorta practical (not a ton of cargo room, but that's why he has his super duty). Hyundai and Kia are both on my list of cars to look at. Don't buy used, because the warranty does not come with the car. The Optima and Sonata are both very nice, and cars I would consider.

My list for midsize car in no particular order: Accord, Sonata/Optima, Fusion, Mazda6.

Compact: Elantra GT, Focus 5door, Cruze, Mazda3 (though there is a new one coming next year). I think I would ultimately have the hatchback Focus.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast