Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice, shopping for a new/used family car

LOL, I was just using both those pages you just listed Sean.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post

Just do it and don't look back.
    I could slap some hardiboard on that wood and tile the heck out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post

Pretty cool cars, imho.
    Dan, that's funny, because that picture was taken here in Morro Bay.
    My signature

The Accord LX has either a 6spd manual or CVT. Optima LX has a 6spd auto.

If it were me, I'd try to avoid the CVT. I would go with a manual tranny and I4, or pay the extra for the V6 and get the 6spd auto. Or just get the Optima with a 6spd auto and I4.

The Accord LX with CVT gets 27/36 mpg, and the Optima LX with 6spd auto gets 24/35.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

FWIW, I'd pick the Optima. I really like the new Accord, but the CVT is a deal breaker...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

What's the deal with CVT and why is it so bad?

This will be April's car, so it will have to be automatic. I like the Optima better too so far
    My signature

Questionable durability, weird driving dynamics, and the feeling by long time drivers that "something is wrong"

Basically, think of this as an infinitely variable transmission. The engine is kept at the same RPM (its optimal operating speed for torque demand and fuel economy, usually biased to the latter) while the trans varies the ratio to the wheels. People describe it as a "rubber band feel" and I tend to agree with that. They feel VERY strange, and you feel like it is not working right because you are accustomed to a finite speed trans with individual gears.

The biggest worry for me is durability. These haven't been around all that long, and there are many wear items.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Ah, makes sense! Yeah, that doesn't sound like something I would like
    My signature

The Ford Fusion might be worth checking out as well. Price is comparable to the Accord or Optima. The base "S" model comes with a 170hp 2.5 I4 and 6spd auto. If you bump up to the "SE" model, there is also a 1.6 EcoBoost with about the same hp (but more torque at much lower RPM), and there is a 2.0 EcoBoost with 240hp.

The base 2.5 motor gets 34mpg on the highway, and the 1.6 EcoBoost 36 on the highway. I'm not completely sold on the long-term reliability of Ford's turbo motors, but so far, I haven't heard of any complaints.
    Last edited by DHC6twinotter; 05-13-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

They feel less strange in a tiny car. Nissan makes the best ones, but they are still a CVT.

I think the bottom line is, you will not be disappointed by any of the options we've given you. It is totally a buyer's market for midsize cars. Literally everything is good. I personally think the best are the accord, optima, and fusion. It would come down to which features interest you more and which tickles your fancy.

Thanks, checking out the Fusion now. I forgot about those
    My signature

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast