Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OBA, Help me choose!

Power tank just isn't an option for me. I have enough in the cab already, and am already having a hard time finding a good spot for the other pressure vessel I keep in there (fire extinguisher). I can also see me forgetting to refill and end up having to keep my old MV50 around just in case.

I REALLY like the idea of the york, but the fact I'd have to move everything around, coupled with the possibility of swapping engines soon, I don't know that it would work out.

Mike: Can't put a battery at the air box, snorkel and all. I have ABS (and like it) so that system will not be moved, same with cruise control. I have the emission components just ahead of where the Clutch master sits (if i were a manual), and Cali frowns on removing (or even moving) that stuff.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 06-10-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    that was my thought Steve, but 25 bucks for the 100% duty cycle sounds nice! I just wonder how important the difference in CFM is going to be? It looks like the heavy duty actually airs up faster than the constant duty.

It also depends on tanks. Unless you have at least a 5 gallon tank I think you're system will be free flow air after 2 tires. That's when cfm comes into play. Tanks get big fast but you don't have a spare so you have options. Piett (I haven't seen him here in awhile) had a Viair that he kept in a tool box. That thing put out some air but it was giant and no doubt had a high retail price. It wasn't had mounted so it was like a professional MV50.

I've had two friends stop using C02. They are good for seating beads but honestly I think you can seat beads with anything if you fiddle with it enough. These are friends who wheel alot so it would be expensive to keep them filled.

Yeah, I am looking at a 2.5 gallon tank mounted underneath somewhere. Wonder if the york fits on the 4.0?

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I REALLY like the idea of the york, but the fact i'd have to move everything around, coupled with the possibility of swapping engines soon, I don't know that it would work out .
    Prototype stuff now so it's ready for the re-power if that's happening soon. I know a guy if you're interested, you can pay him with Diet Dr. Pepper.

Take some pictures of your engine compartment and hang them up. After staring at them for awhile you'll start to see where things will fit and you'll get excited to build it up. Bringing up cost again, think about it. With a York it's all bolt on to something that's already there and there is really only one place it can go, over the alternator. One battery can go near the stock location and the other on the passenger side fender. Run some short wires, run some short air lines and you're good to go. Come re-power time you unbolt the few things from right in front of you, pop in your V8 and bolt everything right up :P

You get what I mean. If you plan it right bring your new motor to pismo when you're ready and we'll all help while you stand back and direct. I'm sure you can get some takers to turn wrenches.

I'd like to engine swap this winter. Reality is, it probably won't happen for a couple of years unless someone drops off a briefcase full of money or a free wrecked tacoma, 4runner, or fjc.

as for wiring the compressor, I already have an unused 5 awg wire going to the cargo area from when I had a bangin' stereo (I miss that so much!) so getting adequate power to the rear is no issue. I already have a switch in the cab for the relay.

Big question is, should I go for the MV90 and piece together a set, or the 33" tire set, 35", 37" Viair sets. Obviously, I like getting the most for my money, but I am also not in the mood for cheap Chinese crap! I have had far too much of that fail on me lately and I am getting pretty fed up with it.

Those viair outflow numbers are at 0 psi. I imagine they will perform similar to an MV50, just be higher quality.

Sean,

I've got an ExtremeAire compressor. It's one of the original ones so I have no clue what it costs now. Their stuff has worked well for me so check them out as an option.

Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Mike's OBA setup is very cool. He usually has one of his tires done before I can get my hood open and my MV50 up and running. Then he is usually able to air up at least one of my tires after completing all four of his. That said, unless it's just Mike and I wheeling, everyone else uses an electric compressor just like me, so I'm never the last one finished airing up. In other words, the amount of time a small group spends airing up will always stay the same. I don't mind that 15-20 minute break after coming off a trail.

I think having an electric pump hardwired and plumbed and ready to use makes a big difference. If all you have to do is flick a switch and hook up an airchuck, for some reason it seems like so much less work than digging around in the hatch for the MV50 and getting it all hooked up. If I weren't completely tired of wiring things right now, I would probably go this route: (pics from slomatt)

He also welded up the two holes in the factory trailer hitch and uses it for a small airsupply. I know you want to get away from the MV50, I guess all I'm suggesting is that regardless what pump you go with, having it hardwired is a nice alternative (I think) to a full blown York setup. I would go with the higher volume (not continuous duty cycle) option from the three you posted.

Thanks Ken. I was about to hard wire my MV50 like that, but since it has started giving me problems, I am looking for something with better quality. I too enjoy the time it takes airing up. Gives me a chance to do another once over on the vehicle to look for problems, dig a soda out of the cooler, grab some snacks for the drive home, etc.

Lance, those extremeaire compressors are super nice, but way out of my price range (hell, the viair is out of my price range!)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast