Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: DIY Roof Rack, Seanz0rz's Low Profile Rack

My fitment issue on the D pillar was really at the headliner. The 2 clips on that corner of the window did not want to engage without popping out. I think as the heat softens the split loom, it will be fine. I don't know why I didn't duck it into the pillar sooner, I guess I followed the factory wiring on the outside when I did the turn signals years ago, and didn't even think of it this time.

Also, thanks for the kind words. It WAS a lot of work. I will let it sit with the darker color for a while, if it doesn't grow on me, I will pull it down and paint it silver.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 01-21-2014 at 04:59 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Hey man that came out really well. It tempts me to go get some tubing and give it a shot but I am pretty sure my wife would kill me. I really like the lights as well. The function is there as well the cool factor. Very well done and I will probably end up copying a bit when I do get around to it. How much weight do you think it will support?

I think it would easily support 100 pounds on each mount, so 400 pounds or so. It would support a RTT I think. In terms of dynamic load, I would keep it under 100 pounds, just because of the factory mounts.

Rack weighs about 40 pounds I think.

Got the rest of the parts for the Daylighters tonight, and they are already reassembled.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Looks good Sean. I like the color but I'm partial to it. I've found it needs heat and UV to dry and yes it will stay soft for over a week. I've got finger prints on half the stuff I paint with hammer finish, especially if it's brush on.

It's dark at my house. Where are the night shots?

Thanks! I have plenty of experience with the brush on stuff, but this is softer than my past experiences. Wonder if the primer had something to do with it?

Still waiting on the Daylighters to go up, and the rear lights won't be operational until the weekend at the earliest. The general consensus is "stupid bright".

Looks really good! I have a set of the Blitzpro lights on the rear of my rack too. I really like them.
    Bandit Runner<br />2002 Sport Edition 4wd<br /><br />Mods:<br />SS 1.2 Lift, 1.5&quot; Body Lift, 315/75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZ&#39;s, Custom Front and Rear Bumpers and Skidplate, Custom Sliders, Eagle Alloy Wheels, Custom Snokel<br /><br />Next:&nbsp; Custom Belly Skid, Custom Roof Rack, Winch, 5.29 Gears, Locker?

Looks awesome, Sean! I like the lights mounted on there. I like the black color too.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Daylighters are wired up:

Tried to make a wind deflector. I hated it.

Instead, I went after the growl that exists above 35mph. I put tape between the cross bars and the roof and drove on the freeway. No more growl! Stopped by Home Depot on the way home and bought some thick weather stripping and placed it between the cross bars and the roof. I will test drive it tomorrow.

This one is for all of you on the east coast, shoveling snow!

Feels so much better having the Daylighters on the roof again. I am glad I spent the money to rehab them.

I still need to find a home for the license plate. It used to live on the roof rack, but now I don't really have a place for it.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 01-22-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Looks great Sean. You are going to be well-illuminated in camp.

You said you put tape between the roof and cross bars and your 35 MPH + growl went away. What did you mean by that? My Yakima roof rack with bike attachments was so noisy with that similar growl that I finally took it off and put the stock rack back on. I could not figure out why it was making so much noise.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast