Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: uh-oh...ripped a hole in my floor

uh-oh...ripped a hole in my floor

Not sure how this happened.

Left front nut on the driver's seat ripped out. I noticed the seat had a rattle about 3 weeks ago, and a few days ago it seemed to get worse. Now I know why.

Now I need to find a body shop to fix it. Any body shop suggestions in the LA area?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Id sooner find me some angle iron to put under into the body and some very large high grade washers. Bodyshop is gonna charge you an arm and a leg to fix that one.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

There is no access from the underside. It is a cross member that is welded to the floor pan and contains the two front bolts for the seat.

I say, if its more than 150 at a body shop, then I would be willing to attempt it for him. Probably cut out the left side and match it to the new piece, then carefully weld it all in.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Id sooner find me some angle iron to put under into the body and some very large high grade washers. Bodyshop is gonna charge you an arm and a leg to fix that one.
    The part is about $50. I can rip the trim and carpet out myself, so I'm hoping I can find a body shop willing to work with me. It would be nice to have the paint match, but if I can save a bit by them just spraying it with something to keep it from rusting, I'm fine with it. It's under the carpet and nobody will see it.

The seat is an important safety item, and I'd like to have it fixed properly. Hopefully it won't be an arm and a leg.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I hear ya. Thought there was access for it.

If you close enough let Sean weld it in for ya imho. Or find someone who welds, trust me a shop is gonna want to charge alot usually.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Mine was fixed before me. The guy dremeled out toward the door so a box end wrench could get in there. Then he just put big washers and a nut

hah, he's staying at my place and is about 15 feet away!

I haven't done any thin metal welding in a LONG time, I will have to practice a bunch first to get the settings and speed right. Too bad I don't have a tig!

troy, strange! I didn't realize this was a problem with the 3rd gen 4runners. I will be checking mine after the trip!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 07-10-2013 at 05:52 PM.

I haven't seen this before either. Could it possibly be the result of a vehicle accident? There are a lot of forces involved and it's a pretty hidden spot to be checked or notice anything wrong.

Sean, if you've got a gas set up on your mig you should be able to do thin stuff. My old bottle was going to expire and just traded it in for cash because I didn't like dealing with the shop. Without a bottle and using flux core, thin stuff is much harder.

Yeah, I am physically capable of doing it, but I don't have much experience with anything thinner than .060, and I usually end up blowing through that.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast