Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new shocks for 1999 4Runner

Need new shocks for 1999 4Runner

My shocks on my 1999 4runner are long overdue for replacement. What brand do you guys recommend?

I'd love to seize this opportunity to get a Sonora Steel 7.2 system, but I don't think that's in the budget.

Thanks,

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Are you still running the stock coils?

If so I'd look into some Tokico's. I used to run the Trekmasters and I like them. The black Tokicos are longer than stock and (at least for the rear) need to be used with a longer coil.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Are you still running the stock coils?

If so I'd look into some Tokico's. I used to run the Trekmasters and I like them. The black Tokicos are longer than stock and (at least for the rear) need to be used with a longer coil.
    Yep, running stock coils.

Who's your go-to place for Tokico's?

Thanks!

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

I'll do a quick search. There was THE guy to buy them from for awhile. When I was shopping several people on different forums were using him and buying through his eBay store. Free shipping and all four for something like $175.

Darn. From what i'm seeing my old part numbers are no longer available. The older Trekmasters were green in color and I know that about the time I replaced them the new ones on the market were blue.

Trekmasters might not be the best but they're Tokico's and made for a standard height rig. Most of the models you read about online are for lifted setups which don't really apply to you. Myself, Paddlenbike and Sean0rz all ran Trekmasters and had a front shock lock up. They were all with longer springs which was probably the culprit.

FWIW my Tokico part numbers were GU3535 and GE3536.

Mike,

I found the models you mentioned at shox.com for $289. http://www.shox.com/appguide/shoxsho...ctsdisplay.php

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Read up on them and see if they are good for you. I liked them when they worked (I was using a taller coil).

It looks like the front Tokico shocks (gu3535's) are going to be hard to get a hold of. They've been unavailable all summer long. They are *supposed to* be available September 25th. Do you guys think I should go with Bilsteins instead?

Bilstein #24-187244 FRONTS, #24-024518 REARS for $319.

Thanks,

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870 View Post
    It looks like the front Tokico shocks (gu3535's) are going to be hard to get a hold of. They've been unavailable all summer long. They are *supposed to* be available September 25th. Do you guys think I should go with Bilsteins instead?

Bilstein #24-187244 FRONTS, #24-024518 REARS for $319.

Thanks,

Erich
    Who says you can't go with rear Tokico and front Bilsteins? You know, if you can't wait for the front Tokicos.
    '96 4Runner SR5 4x4, manual, e-locker, manual hubs too. Stuff happened to it. Stuff is still happening to it.
    '99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    Sometimes guys like to be treated like princesses too!

The Bilstein #24-187244 FRONTS are the yellow ones right?

When I was reading around before getting my 5100's I read that the yellow (4800's) were a bit rough. That's just what I was reading. I liked my rear Trekmasters. They weren't as long as the 5100's but were stiffer and seemed a bit better when loaded. Now that I have 890 springs in the rear everything feels pretty good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast