Thread: Dieting...

Dieting...

I know that we've all been there and have tried many different dieting plans / regiments / exercise plans in attempts at losing weight to our desired goals but did any one specific one work for you?

In the past I've tried the P90X and Insanity workout and thought they were great individually and afterwards thought a hybrid between the two was a good blend of cardio and strength training. I've also done the run to your hearts content while training to do marathons and half marathons. Even did the count your calories diet plan while doing all of these crazy exercise plans and in some respect some if not all did have a positive impact on my dieting and my health.

One thing that I never did was try eating Chia. My family has been big on the whole Chia seeds thing and I really just looked at them like they were crazy. Welp call me crazy but I decided that I'd give it a whirl since I've got a few lbs to lose so what the heck.

Have you guys tried this stuff? Kinda weird if you ask me but we'll see...

Anyone else try something else in your quest to shed some weight?

Please don't say the honey/cinammon cleanse cuz that just sounds wrong. though I may try it just for kicks! haha
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I did the South Beach Diet several years ago. I lost about 25 pounds in, I think, 4 months with no exercise. I've since gained most of that back...lol. It I neworked pretty well for me though.

I need to lose 50-60 pounds, and I definitely need to start exercising or something. I've never heard of this Chia thing before, and I'd be interested in seeing how well it works for you.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

yeah up until this past weekend I had no clue what Chia was. I've heard of flax seed so I figure it's probably something along the same line of nasty but probably good for you. you know they say always trust whatever your mom gives you so I guess I'll give it a whirl. Sadly the first thing she said when she saw me was man you got fat. haha doh!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I've heard of the chia seeds and have known people that use them but they are mostly vegetarian and they are part of their regular diet. They pretty much eat rabbit food and look relatively thin but they just don't have any strength. It's more of their lifestyle but YMMV.

I don't have the time but most importantly the will power to diet. I like food and I like to eat. I was also one of those kids that had to finish all the food on their plate and as an adult I do the same. I'm kind of like a dog, if you put it in front of me I'll eat it. Having said that we eat a lot of healthy food at the house. I make dinner 3-4 times a week and even thought it's one of the 15 things I like to cook (with the exception of BBQ, that makes 16 things) they are all pretty much healthy eats.

Our kids are good eaters and for the most part they eat what my wife and I eat. We have a year round garden, fruit trees and get a farm to you box every two weeks so we also eat our share of rabbit food. Portion size doesn't always work well with me because I get too hungry. If I ate smaller portions I'd be eating all the time and with work, cycling and family I don't have the time.

90% of my exercise is mountain biking and road cycling. On average I ride 450 miles a month, every month and have been for over 10 years. Before that it was a bit more but nonetheless as years pass I get busier and don't eat as well. As such I'm not skinny. I never have been and don't necessarily want to be but I'm happier being active, strong and healthy. There was a time in college I did some weight loss to improve efficiency on the bike and in the end I had less strength and endurance at a lower weight. Even under the eye of a cycling nutritionist I couldn't get the lean muscle so I didn't really try. Now 10 years later things might be different but it would be more of a lifestyle change.

Every body type is different and will require a different plan of action. Finding it may take awhile but search for it, set a goal and get out there and compete. There will always be someone faster and stronger but that's what I use to drive myself.

An example of my poor will power (food choices) and activity is below. Most M-F days are about the same with the exception of eating out and/or a few beers.

Breakfast:
    Large (or whatever they call it) Starbucks with a splash of half and half.
    Slice of very berry coffee cake.
    Banana
    Plum

Lunch:
    Shredded beef super burrito (rice, beans, sour cream, etc).
    Some chips
    Diet Coke

After work/ride snack - protein push:
    String cheese
    Glass of milk
    cookie (because it was there)

Dinner:
    BBQ pork tender loin
    Steamed broccoli
    Rosemary creamy noodle experiment
    2- 32 ounce cups of ice water (hydrating from bike ride home)

Activity:
    4 mile bike ride from home to train station
    2 trips up the stairs at work, 14 floors each trip.
    23 mile bike ride home. Average HR 155, Max 178 bpm. ~1 hour, 5 minutes at an average of ~85 percent of my commute threshold HR. Burned around 900 calories.
    2 mile walk with the kids
    30 push ups
    100 sit ups

This is all a regular weekday for me and I'm pretty dang sure it's the food that keeps me puggie. I don't have a fast metabolism as much as I don't like to sit still. I'd rather sit on the floor and stretch and do push ups than sit on the couch after the kids go to sleep.

I'm sure after my first by pass or close call I'll change my diet but until then I'll eat like everyday was my last. No chia or flax for me.

I used to be super skinny from a twice-per-week gym routine, cycling daily to work and running at least a couple of days per week. At that time I ate whatever I wanted and rarely was it ever lean or healthy. In 2009 I fell off a 50' cliff and ended up in trauma for 2 weeks and lost a bunch of weight and muscle mass, ending up at 135 pounds. Since that time my life has changed, I spent a lot of time chasing girls (now married as of 5/13), became a home owner, moved to a new town where my bike commute is down to 5 miles per day, and generally haven't had or made the time to workout like I used to. My only exercise at the moment is a very short bike commute, 1 day/week at the gym and a mountain bike ride here and there. I'm probably 10 pounds heavier than I'd like to be.

At the beginning of the year I decided to start paying attention to what I eat. I used an android app called MyFitnessPal and it really opened my eyes to what I was eating. I have never in my life paid attention to what I ate and quickly discovered that excess sugar in my diet was a problem. Meanwhile my intake of fats, cholesterol, sodium, carbs, proteins, etc. all looked pretty good. It's no secret that everything is filled with refined/processed sugars from the breads I was eating everyday to the soy milk I drank to the protein powders I would drink after a workout. Obviously things like coffee creamer, soda and sugary snacks just multiply what you've already consumed. My weight stayed constant no matter what I tried, but cutting back on sugars started to reduce my weight.

I know Lance's diet is probably way better than mine and I'm sure you know what you are putting in your body; but to anyone who doesn't pay much attention, I encourage you to try tracking your diet for a couple of weeks. It took a smartphone app to make this happen for me because it makes it so easy.

I think my body is at a comfortable weight and that's why my weight dropped initially and has now stabilized. Now I think it's up to exercise to take care of the rest. This week I started making time whenever possible to run, but I need to find more time somehow for exercise if I really want to get to my goal weight.

What has helped me in the past (i have always been "over weight") lose a few pounds was cutting back on the amount I eat and generally being more active. Since I've finished school, I've gained about 10-15 pounds from not walking and taking the stairs like I used to. Also, being married and happy has made me fat, and I'm sure it doesn't help that I have two great women (mom and Lexi) cooking for me!

This morning I've lost a few pounds working on my roof rack! IT IS HOT & HUMID!

My plan is to start eating less and eating better stuff, plus walking, swimming, etc. Right now, I am suppose to lose about 60 pounds to be at my "ideal" weight. I think that is too low for me, so I am aiming for 40 pounds. Baby steps!

For me, a gym is not an option. We do have a treadmill (for the rainy and hot months) and a small home weight machine. I need to start using those again.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 07-24-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Serving size / calories intake is a big part on dieting. Definitely eating only the good stuff is key but portion control really is a big step on healthy dieting.

Sadly I love food way too much so that it's hard for me not to eat. Like Mike growing up I had to always clean off the plate so portion control goes out the window. Not only that my friends call me the garbage disposal cuz I will clean everything off so clearly I've got an eating problem! haha. good food is just too hard to resist!

This chia stuff is really bleh. It's bland in flavor and is like tapioca if you mix it with coffee or some other warm drink. Kinda weird but it's ok I guess. Not sure if I can do it long term but I am testing the waters.

Mike and Ken, both of ya guys are toothpicks! Not sure what you're talking about cuz I'm clearly way bigger than both of ya combined! haha

I know that if I want to lose any sizable weight I'll need to throw in some exercise into my diet but we'll see how that'll fit into my packed schedule. Wished I could ride like you Mike so I'll need to see if I can squeeze in an early morning ride before the day starts (i.e. 5am ish--- eek!)

Ken, I've been using myfitnesspal off and on since it came out for iOS. Great app!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile

I think I gained all my weight eating Korean food with you and Bob. The meat kept coming, it was great!

My thing is, if it's a diet, I'll never do it because it's temporary. No way I can keep a diet for the rest of my life. If you have to diet to lose weight, you will certainly gain it all back when you reach your goal. Think lifestyle. It's. I secret that you need to eat healthy MOST of the time & exercise regularly. If you can't, than forget it. You're (I'm) not ready. It's a LIFESTYLE change of eating well for the rest of your life. If I can't commit to that, I don't even bother. That being said, I have not committed.
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O