Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yaesu FT-8800r

Yaesu FT-8800r

Recently in a binge of late night purchasing I bought an FT-8800r. It's been on my mental want shopping list for awhile and after a few clicks I had bought it. It's got a lot of features I've always wanted and have needed so I bit the bullet.

Here is the Yaesu link with the factory description.
    http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0

The bigger differences from the FT-2800r that it's replacing is that it's dual band, it's got a data port and can send packet data, has cross band repeat, receives up to 999 mhz which is great for monitoring, has what they call hyper memory channels, can be remotely mounted and it's a bit smaller. It would be awesome if it were the same size as the 2800 because right now I'm having to fab so dash pieces to fill in some spots.

A box showed up and this is what was inside.

I ordered the separation kit because I figured I'd mount the 'radio' under the driver seat and run the cable to the dash. I already use a hidden auxiliary speaker so that was the easy part. I added a Comet B-10NMO to the order because I no longer have my Larsen 2/70. I sold it on Expo and now I wish I hadn't. It's a higher gain antenna than the B-10 and the price has gone up quite a bit. The B-10 gets great reviews and is said to out perform the Larsen 2/70 but the size and gain just isn't there so we'll see. I've still got the 2m 1/4 wave and the 2m 5/8 wave so I'm kind of set there. Since I have two NMO mounts on the roof I may get a duplexer and a standard 440 antenna with a bit more gain.

Old and new.

It was easiest to remount the 2800 above my work bench than the 8800 in the dash so I did that. I use my 5/8 wave Larsen whip on my old NMO mag mount that I mounted in the corner of the garage near the garage door. I ran all the wires behind the book shelf so it's a clean install and allows me to use more power than a handheld while at home.

I've been doing a lot more volunteer work so dual band and cross band repeat will be features that get some use. Most of my volunteer work has been on a bicycle with a handheld with good access to the event repeater. Having cross band will give me some range when those events are from my vehicle or even on the bike but in more remote locations.

The cross band will also be helpful on a trip as my radio can act as a repeater of sorts for a group. This is good for people that only have handhelds in their vehicles or if someone is at camp with an HT. There are some gray areas of legal operation so I'll be looking into setting up CTCSS and DCS codes. I joined a local CERT group so cross band can be helpful there as well as receive on the 900 mhz band.

Outside of the very large valley I live in 70 cm is active so dual band will be handy. The 8800 can dual receive from any of the bands and is super customizable. I'm still pouring through the manual and taking notes before I program it but it's a lot more radio than my old one. I like the fact it's got partitioned memories. This will be nice for the multiple bands but I can also set it up for different regions and make use of all the memories. I'm thinking a local bank, north, east and south. This will allow me to switch to a memory that is specific to my location and take out non local frequencies that may interfer with operation. The hyper memories are the 1-6 buttons on the face and are quick go to frequencies that can be any band. These are on top of the home channels that each of the 5 bands have. This is why I've been writing so much. Trying to organize everything before I start programming.

Because the radio and face are smaller than the 2800 I mounted the entire thing in the dash. It didn't require too much alteration to the bracket I made for the 2800 and it will work for now. One thing I don't like about the face is that the mic plugs into the side of the face almost an inch back. This might be fine for remote mounting but I don't like the look of a remote face floating around in a cramped cockpit so I'm going to have to work around it. The other thing is that if I make a nice flush plate like I had with my last radio I can't remove the face without removing the dash bezel.

The radio isn't flashy but I park outside all day everyday and I don't want someone thinking they want to walk off with it. I've seen one home made mount that allows the mic to be plugged in and the face removed but there are large gaps on both sides of the face. This might be my plan B.

Plan A starts with a jumper cable for the mic. The idea is that the jumper will plug into the side and then make it a forward facing mic port for lack of better words. The mic is a 6 pin phone jack style. I found 6 pin parts but learned that phone parts switch pins at junctions. I needed 6 pin data parts as they are pass through. There isn't much online about this but it is out there. If I used phone parts I don't think I would have zapped anything, it just wouldn't work.

I bought a cable and wall mount data port.

I picked the wall mount unit for a couple of reasons. For one it was big and was easy to take apart. For two it had wires to solder the cable to instead of pins. And for three it was big and even with some cutting it had material around the port to mount to something. The something part is something I need to make. This little jumper isn't as clean as I thought it would be but it will be hidden behind some steel.

That steel is still in the works. The radio is in, works and is really cool. I want/need to work in the mic port and my USB port in the area around the face. First I need to make a piece to fill the gap. Finding time is the biggest part but have had an hour to dig out some metal and cut it up. Grind here, bend here and I'm on my way. I'm trying to take my time otherwise I see myself getting frustrated and never finishing.

This is where I'm at so far. The bottom of the radio face has a curve to it just to piss me off.

I will end up replacing my 7800 with the 8800 at some point, the CBR is enough for me to justify it.

Great lookin' radio, can't wait to hear about how it performs!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I am looking forward to hearing your impressions of the radio. It's good I started with the lowest model Yaesu; my lack of experience with ham means I have to dig out the manual for anything outside of basic operation. Nothing against the radio, I've had my ham ticket for two weeks and still haven't used it.

There might be enough room in that radio bezel for an outside temperature display. 3rd gens have an unused harness that carries the wires for the outside temperature display on Limited models, so that might make for an easy outside temp display hookup.

As far as regular radio operation I don't think the performance of this radio will be any different than my 2800 except for it being dual band. With all the little features it will be easier to use but all those little features mean there are more things to use. The 1800/1900 and the 2800/2900 are great radios and not all that complicated. The more you use it the easier it is to operate but if you're just spending time on a couple of programmed frequencies it's no different than a cb as far as operation.

It's got great scanning features, muting options and programmable hot keys but I'm sure after it's setup I won't have to fuss with it much.

I didn't know there was a pre wire for the temp gauge but it makes sense. If I ever do it I'd like to actually hide it some where as I don't like the look of added gauges everywhere. My phone, watch and pores let me know when it's hot so I should be good for awhile.

Regular operation has been the same. Most of the program features are the same as is the mic so that makes it easy. I'm programming this radio a little differently using the memory banks. The plan is for a local bank and several traveling banks (North, South, East and West). I'm going to add a WIN Sys bank as well as a Weather channel bank. 70cm has opened up a lot of repeaters so I want them in there. Having access to the WIN System will be fun especially while traveling. My 2800 had a built in weather bank, it probably just used a bank like I have planned for the 8800. Without a bank I'd have to enter or scan a frequency. If I have a bank with all 7 frequencies I should be good to go no matter where I end up.

Another neat feature that I want to use is Yaesu's ARTS (Auto Range Transponder System) feature. My HT has it and I'd always wanted to use it. Basically you pick a DCS code and enter it into the ARTS equipped radios in your group (for example). When you PTT or every 25 seconds your radio transmits a sub audible signal to the other radios in the group. If you're in range of another radio your screen will read "IN.RNG" meaning In Range along with a tone if desired. If you're out of range it will say "OUT.RNG".

This is great as a radio user offroad because you'll know when you've drifted off for whatever reason. Say you or another one takes a wrong turn and is traveling farther away. Or someone is broken or had to stop for whatever reason. Or if you're meeting your group after they have already set up camp. With some pre planning you can set up your radio to let you know when you've come into radio contact that way they can have a beer waiting for you when you get there.

Sounds cool!

I programmed the first 7 channels on my Baofeng for NOAA, 8 and 9 are the UY channels (low and high power), the rest are repeaters that I might use.

I still have to figure out how to program my 7800. Just haven't spent too much time with it, and it is in an awkward location (it is getting moved to the dash soon)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I discovered that even my bottom-feeder Yaesu FT-1900R has ARTS, so we will have to try that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I programmed the first 7 channels on my Baofeng for NOAA, 8 and 9 are the UY channels (low and high power), the rest are repeaters that I might use.
    UY has channels? Where have I been?
    Now I'm curious if there's a repeater that will reach between Sean in Redlands and me in Sacto.

I can hear the one near Ridgecrest. I don't think I can hit it though.

We have at least 2 serious mountain ranges between us! getting over the San Bernardinos is hard enough, though Keller Peak does a wonderful job at that. We might have better luck bouncing a 10m signal off the ionosphere.

The one we end up using for UY is 146.430. It's what we use at Pismo and the desert trips I do. Seems to be fairly empty, I've only encountered one other convo and it was FAR from us, the truck was barely picking it up.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 07-25-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast