Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yaesu FT-8800r

I will add that frequency to mine as well. I'm thinking there must be linked repeaters that would work between our locations, but I haven't actually checked.

I pulled all the Win system frequencies for 70cm as well as the Oregon systems.

i'll have to look into those. SO much to learn beyond the basics!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Finished up my bezel plate. I think it will be temporary as it's plastic instead of metal. Plastic is fine and I used it because it was going to be quicker and easier than metal. I'm sure it will be fine and may be in there for awhile but metal will be worry free.

I decided to move the radio to the center of the open slot for looks. I wish the 8800 was the size of the 2800. The smaller radio to the side looked a little out of place and with the USB and mic port crammed to one side I'd probably be kicking myself trying to fit everything. The plastic piece will make a perfect template to make one out of metal. Silly me forgot to trace it onto some paper before buttoning everything up. Doh.

Spent a lot of time with little pencil files and a razor blade. Almost there.

The old radio had fake allen screws in the corners of the face. I liked the look and used allen screws for my USB and aux power switch. I decided to keep the screws even though the new radio doesn't have them. I used them on the mic port as well. USB and aux power still work even after all the wire jockying I had to do. My old phone plays navigation duty.

It's all kind of dark and a bit difficult to photograph with a cell phone so this is as good as it gets. Overall I'm pretty happy with it and will be happy to make a metal version...maybe someday.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 07-27-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Looks good Mike. Making trim bezels is not my favorite thing, it's time consuming.

I was thinking about a metal one today. What I might do is make a real good copy and then have someone cut it out with a plasma. Cuttng the bends, rounded corners and right angle corners would be hard to do by hand because of the tight spots. Even a Dremel would be a little big and couldn't make the sharp corners. Small files don't cut much and would take forever by hand.

A cool burnt out one would be cool.

I guess this is the best place to add this.

I finally got all the California repeaters programmed into my FT-7800R. All 665 or so.

I used the software from this guy:
    http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/

From www.repeaterbook.com, I exported the repeaters for California in a format that matches the software. Problem is, it was NOT sorted in any meaningful way. I did manage to export a printed copy that was organized by county, city. I had to reorganize them all into a different file, and edit the PL tone for each one, as that did not export correctly either.

Now I have all California repeaters stored in my radio, and a folder with all of the channels numbered, and sorted by county and city. This is more of a just-in-case than anything I will use on a daily basis, but it will be useful for traveling. Coupled with the repeaterbook app, it should make contact a little easier.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Did you use the Yaseu memory banks? Or are they all in one big lump? The entire state? I've just got the regions I go into which include neighboring states but that only adds up to 50 or so memories using all 10 banks.

I'd think about the banks. Just try scanning, unless you programmed the squelch levels for each frequency I don't think your scan will work. It will stop way too often on stations you can't hear. Once you move location that squelch break won't be too accurate either.

I had a problem with one major Eastern Sierra repeater that I've used. Around town it would break squelch and stop the scan but you couldn't hear anything. You had to be 50 miles out of town to begin to hear anything on it. I tried some of the Yaseu features like skip but ended up breaking things into banks.

Right now it is in one big lump until I fully understand how the radio uses its banks. I will probably bank it by region, but having it by county now, I can easily surf to where I need to be. I can add each entry to banks as I please in the software, and spend the few minutes uploading it to my radio. Mostly, I listen to one repeater here (works from Diamond Bar to Banning, Victorville to Perris and beyond) and use a few different simplex frequencies when traveling with others. Since the Yaesu already has the WX channels, I didn't bother adding them in. I did put the 146.520 (nat'l calling freq.) in there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12