Thread: Binding a self printed user manual

Binding a self printed user manual

Today I printed out the user manual for my Yaesu 7800 Ham radio. I had lost the original manual, and needed a paper copy to keep in the truck.

Adobe reader has a neat "booklet" print option. It will print the booklet as it was from the factory. Most manufacturers now provide user manuals in PDF format that are identical to their factory printed manuals. I printed my manual double sided, in booklet form, and it turned out exactly as the factory book did.

But it wasn't bound. The factory book was stapled, but my stapler does not have a big enough throat to staple to the center of the book.

I found this web page: http://www.designsponge.com/2013/03/...et-stitch.html

I laid out my marks and drilled my holes with a 5/64" drill bit:

I used a 2' long strand from 550 para cord to do the lace and covered inner and outer with clear packing tape to keep it from getting snagged:

I used a small, flat blade eyeglass screw driver to push the string through the holes.

It cost me nothing to do this, and I only had to leave my chair to track down some paracord. I have a few other manuals to print out, and I will use the same method.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I am so going to copy you on that. I think it's a good idea to have a copy of the manual in the truck.

I actually just finished making my first call on a repeater (with Mike). The range and clarity are awesome.

I ran into the same problem as you Sean. As a result I made mini copies because they take up less room and the stapler worked. Having a copy in the truck and one as a pdf on a phone and/or tablet is invaluable.

Congrats on programming your radio and your first contact Ken. I totally forgot about the radio in my garage. Had I remembered I wouldn't have had to put on pants. I don't mind but Marin says the neighbors do. Good thing becuase everyone seemed to be out.