Thread: 1996 Toyota 4Runner ObdII issue

1996 Toyota 4Runner ObdII issue

Hey Everyone New here nice forum and would be grateful for any help given. i have a 1996 toyota 4runner 2.7l and the radio and stuff was stolen out of it long story short the obd II connector was damaged and it was replaced wires were cut and spliced back to correct locations. now i get power and ground on the plug but no obd scanner will detect it working any help would be greatly apperiated thanks in advance. if theres and wiring diagrams out there and maybe voltage thats suppose to be on he plug thanks again..

I'll try to get something for you in the morning.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

OK, so here is what I found.

Toyota calls the OBD2 plug "D7 Data Link Connector 3"

Attached is a pdf of the wiring diagram you need. The colors should be correct to your 96. The colors in my 02 manual are different on the SB pin. Make sure the pins are set up correctly, you should be able to find a pin out for the OBD2 connector from google.
    Attached Files Attached Files

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

thank you so much for the diagram and all the help, im looking for the obd2 under the dash board sorry i wasnt clear enough. those colors match up but i cant seem to find the pinout for it on google. still searching thanks again buddy.

Thanks for all your help Sean, we got lucky and got a 96 4runner in the shop today just it was a v6 but same wires (4) total same colors and stuff just had to switch out the white/blk and the white, brown/red line was pin-2,white pin-4,white/blk pin-5 and purple pin-16. now the obd2 reads flawlessly hope this can benifit someone else that has had the same issue or runs into the same issue will try to add pictures if its not all put back together

Glad I could help out! Welcome to the forums, we hope you stick around!

Sean,
    You always amaze me at the info you reply with, hahahaha!!!
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

I have the fsm, always happy to help!