Thread: speedometer / comp reprogram for larger tires

speedometer / comp reprogram for larger tires

I'm putting the lift on my 2000 4Runner this weekend. The next logical step is putting a little more beef on with some new tires. I'm most likely going from a 265/70/16 to a 265/75/16 (but my tire guy has a pretty sweet deal on some 285's that he has in stock... so that is also possibility) .

When my hubby got larger tires on his Dakota, he took it to the local Dodge dealership and for $40 got his computer reprogrammed for the tire size he was running. Yesterday he called our Toyota dealer to find out how much it would cost to get that done for the Runner. He was told flat out that they couldn't do that.

My question is this: What, if anything, do I do to adjust the computer / speedometer readings to run non-factory size tires?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: speedometer / comp reprogram for larger tires

nothing short of spending ~$180 on a Superlift Speedometer Recalibrator and doing some wiring.

it's really not THAT bad. your speedo actually reads a little faster than what you're going w/ stock tires (if your truck was delivered to the dealer with 265/70's originally). w/ 265/75's, it's dead on. w/ 285/75's you're only about 4% above that. that's less than 3MPH at 70. (that means when the speedo indicates 67MPH, you're really doing 70MPH.)
    -andy

Thanks Andy, great info. I figured it would be close, but didn't expect it to be that close.

Just curious, are you using the recalibrator?

I would just buy a GPS unit and use that (especially if a recalibrator is $180). Then you have a sweet off-road tool too
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

nope. i sure don't.
    -andy

Umm I
    Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    I would just buy a GPS unit and use that (especially if a recalibrator is $180). Then you have a sweet off-road tool too
    have a GPS and I bought the recall tool. But heres the thing my GPS was $400+ so wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the recall unit? And I run 2 sets of tires so the SuperLift Tru speed calibrator kicks ass.

Aaron
    I can, because I don't know that I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by xcmountain80
    Umm I
    Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    have a GPS and I bought the recall tool. But heres the thing my GPS was $400+ so wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the recall unit? And I run 2 sets of tires so the SuperLift Tru speed calibrator kicks *******.

Aaron
    Well if you're getting a GPS, and you're willing to shop a bit, it quite easy to find a very nice used model for well under $100. Heck, you can get brand new ones for under $200 these days.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Yeah not so much! especially considering the model. It depends what you want and need I ended up with a garmin 276C you wont find em I shopped for 8 months. Even after the release of the new models they still are the same price $400-$1000. Now granted for most a lesser unit will do, but for my needs this is the only one that was suited. Sure for $100 ish you can find some descent units.

Aaron
    I can, because I don't know that I can't.