Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not how I planned to end my wheeling trip...

Not how I planned to end my wheeling trip...

With the 4Runner lifted again, and me having a few bad weeks, I really wanted to get out in the woods for a bit...
    I don't have much pictures of the days events I was riding solo in my truck (still with a group though)

we had just finished lunch and were on our way up a black trail
    (green = mild stockish)
    (blue = need some lift and tires)
    (black = get ready for some dents)
    (red = if you're not locked F&R on 40s don't try)

The begging of the trail is easy and then there is an 'S' turn before the real tough stuff, still has some intricately placed rocks.
    Well I picked a bad line and this was the outcome:

That is the tire shoved into the body.....

This is what was the result of my damages:

I don't have other pictures of the one other failure, I bent driver side rear shock housing and the bottom of the passenger rear shock actually split from the body....

I broke at the most deepest part of the park, and with the pinion sheared the truck would only roll in reverse cause when put in drive and go forward the pinion would drop and lock up the rear.

I backed my truck up 3 miles of up hill rough terrain, it was NOT fun...

Needless to say I have a LOT of work ahead of me
    Last edited by YotaFun; 09-09-2013 at 05:39 PM.

WOW! That's the new frame right? You'll have to do the spring/shock bucket mod that Bruce did years ago (unfortunately, I think pictures are long gone)
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Yeah Sean it is the new frame, plus side, all frame side mounts held up *phew*

What is that mod exactly?

you must have been going faster than you should. are you locked and geared at all? bending that arm that far up meant you had to had gone up and down pretty fast. i have taken wrong lines on big rocks before but when going slow, you can feel and hear that your rubbing rocks lol

i cant tell but is the 3rd picture showing that you ripped the drive line off too? that's some damage... how you get off the trail?
    Last edited by toyotech; 09-09-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

I was going slow till I got stuck, but the truck felt it would go with a little bump, well the little bump was a bad idea -_-
    I think the arm was probably bent slightly earlier in the day and this was just the final let go.

I am locked, but stock 4.30 gears.
    Yes the 3rd picture is showing the pinion sheared right off, that happen when the link gave out and shoved the tire into the body.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Glad you didn't bugger up the frame! as for the mounts on the axle, at this point, you are probably better off finding a new housing. I suspect that you bent it along with ripping off attachment points and bending tabs.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

All I can say is wow, that's a gnarly break.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Oh man. A little bump went a long way. You've got a lot of extra parts though right?

that is crazy about the pinion... ekk
    new stronger link mounts and DOM links???
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

gesh Avy! lol I'd tease you but dang thats gonna take a bit. Thankfully you have all the parts needed!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast