Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not how I planned to end my wheeling trip...

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Sorry, I misunderstood. Glad you didn't bugger up the frame! as for the mounts on the axle, at this point, you are probably better off finding a new housing. I suspect that you bent it along with ripping off attachment points and bending tabs.
    I am undecided what I want to do axle wise, I found mount online that are stronger, But I have to measure to make sure they fit.
    I am leaning on getting a housing just to get it on the road, but if this axle is straight I might still get all the after market mounts and start beefing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    All I can say is wow, that's a gnarly break.
    This is by far my worst trail carnage to date, its the sport but it does burn...

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Oh man. A little bump went a long way. You've got a lot of extra parts though right?
    I did...
    The reason I lifted the brown truck again is because I had to get rid of the white one, I had no where to store it, no real way to move it easy, and my boss told me I couldn't keep it at work anymore so I transferred everything over as much as I could, stripped as much as I needed, and scrapped the rest, which included the rear axle -_-

Quote Originally Posted by toyotech View Post
    that is crazy about the pinion... ekk
    new stronger link mounts and DOM links???
    This is the sad part, I have aftermarket DOM links but the joints in the are shot to hell...
    I am in the process of trying to get them rebuild, but this wonderful rust stuff is making the simplest of tasks almost impossible

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    gesh Avy! lol I'd tease you but dang thats gonna take a bit. Thankfully you have all the parts needed!
    I appreciate hold back on the teasing, this was a tough burn for me, Like I said above I really wish I did have the parts -_-
    The one opportunity I gain from this, is finally I think I will be able to go 4.88s!

if you are keeping the axle maybe you can bend that back and tac it, then plate the outside? might be a easy ghetto way to get all the geometry right easily.

Troy, I think the link mount is pretty much toast, I will try to get a better picture sometime this week.
    (motivation is just nonexistent at the moment)

The replacement idea for the mounts is these:
    https://www.barnes4wd.com/mobile/Link-Tower_p_148.html

I just need to measure to see if they would work.
    I will be making custom upper links as well, with some sort of heim joint or something similar, so the closest I get to the geometry great, hopefully the link will align the rest.

Ouch Avy...after all that work too
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Yeah I know it definitely stinks.
    Before winter she will be back to her good ol self, just one day at a time.

So I figured I would update this a little bit since I am slowly making progress.

First to more pictures of the carnage:

How its suppose to look:

This is a bad pic but dirty hands make it hard to take good pics, that is where the bottom of the shock is split:

When I removed the shock the bottom came right off:

Bent Shock and broken link (broke as I was trying to get it off the trailer -_-:

Axles out:

So is the diff:

So that is the carnage its insane I know....

Time to start fixing starting with the upper links
    My plan of attack here is to try to keep my budget down on this rebuild but beef up.
    So I am sleeving the upper control arms to beef them up and putting new bushings in, while yes I could have made adjustable ones, I really have no need as of right now, I don't plan to lift the rear any higher and the current geometry of the set up works well when I don't break it.
    So this is what I did:

Boom:

Comparison:

Done:

I gotta ask...were you drinking? lol

careful on that upper link. the stock rods will twist to allow more droop. You might bind earlier with that new tube.

With the upper links out of the way it was time to see what to do with the lowers,
    Since rebuilding my old Rubicon Express links from Sonoran Steel was proving to be a major pain in the ass I decided to make my own, cutting off the end of the links and doing something my way:

What I am doing for one end is welding on the frame side is weld the stock link end to that side:

On the other end I am going to do as so:
    http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...nt_p_1966.html

Yes I know its adjustable, pretty much going against what I said for the uppers.
    I just like the cool factor here.
    This potion also saves me about $30 that I can start putting towards 4.88 and rebuilding my diff.

Its pretty amazing how flimsy the stock links are:

When standing on them they would bed very easily (that is 200lbs of pure fat -_-) which makes me wonder how much the stock links flex under normal circumstances, it has to have a good amount of stress on it.

I gotta ask...were you drinking? lol
    No, but where did that come from exactly?

careful on that upper link. the stock rods will twist to allow more droop. You might bind earlier with that new tube.
    I am going to throw so new bushings it, well see how it goes when they are in, If I find issue then I guess it will be time for put a flex joint on them.

And yeah they twist alright like a freakin pretzel...

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    When standing on them they would bed very easily (that is 200lbs of pure fat -_-) which makes me wonder how much the stock links flex under normal circumstances, it has to have a good amount of stress on it.
    Yeah, but you have to remember than normally they're never loaded in bending like that. They're usually a 2 force member, meaning they only see tension and compression and things are way strong in tension and compression. For example, did you know a single 1/4" grade 8 bolt can easily lift our trucks in the air. Toyota didn't exactly design those links to take the loads we subject them to.

Just doing some quick calculations based on the picture and assuming the round stock is 1" OD (which I think it's actually bigger than 1"), .125" wall, and mild steel, those things can each hold 10,000lbs in tension or compression (well, ignoring buckling failure anyway).

However, bending is way weaker so the second you land on a rock or somehow apply a bending load, it's history.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast