Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Not how I planned to end my wheeling trip...

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    Yeah, but you have to remember than normally they're never loaded in bending like that. They're usually a 2 force member, meaning they only see tension and compression and things are way strong in tension and compression. For example, did you know a single 1/4" grade 8 bolt can easily lift our trucks in the air. Toyota didn't exactly design those links to take the loads we subject them to.
    Agreed, they usually are not, it just still seems really flimsy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    Just doing some quick calculations based on the picture and assuming the round stock is 1" OD (which I think it's actually bigger than 1"), .125" wall, and mild steel, those things can each hold 10,000lbs in tension or compression.
    You are right on the measurements.

Haha i only ask cause that looks like something i might do after a few too many. My buddy jason went with the ballistic end links too. They look like strong units! Glad to see tess is coming along nicely

No no, not any drinking, I have been on the health kick lately, my alcohol intake has dropped dramatically.
    Normally though, I probably would have been about 3 deep....

I am looking forward to getting them and seeing how they preform they look awesome!

You and me both Troy, its sad seeing her in the drive way on jack stands agian....
    But works been plucking at the last nerve I have left and finally the rage turned into motivation to work.
    I am hoping 3 weeks or so she will be done, trying to steady my cash flow with bills and what not on top of these repairs lol!

Glad to see progress!

I don't have much to add, but I wish you good luck! On my phone it looked as if the carrier was damaged as well?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The carrier definitely has so metal missing, I am going to get it apart and see if there are any stress crack or sign that its not solid, it still functions beautifully so I think if there is any protruding metal that I will grind it down and should be okay.

Right now I am trying to decided on brand of gears and who can get the best deal, i'm looking anywhere between 200-250 shipped then I need a master install kit too, $$$ just keep piling up

Man you put the hurt to that rear end. Like the others I'm glad to see it's being rebuilt. Did you decide what you're going to do with the towers? What do the stock towers hit to fold them over? Any underside damage?

Mike, I had no idea I had till it was too late :-(
    I ordered the towers I linked in this tread earlier, and modify them to fit, it was either those or the ones off Ballistics Fab website, but the name jumped the price up -_-
    They didn't hit anything, I think it was just from all the force of the axle bending a way in never should have that caused the passenger side to bend over, the driver side was at full droop and the passenger just couldn't go anywhere anymore is what I gather.

There is no underside damage to the body or the frame, all frame mounts are good, but after this my next step will be upgrading the lower mounts on the axle and all the frame mounts.

Well, it has been a long time since I have updated this!
    With gathering parts and changing jobs its been difficult, but with winter weather showing up in the forecast and me being on the snow team for work, its time to get this beauty back on all 4 rolling!

So I sourced a rear axle for $50 from a local u-pull, it was a little rusted, cleaned it up and painted it, and put a little truss in:
    It is even, just the way this picture was taken make it look otherwise:

Finally got the parts from ballistics and the bushing off amazon:

I forgot to take pics of the bushings for the links but here is the link to the amazon page that has them:
    Lower:
    http://www.amazon.com/Febest-Bushing.../dp/B00C6MYBAA
    Upper:
    http://www.amazon.com/Febest-Bushing.../dp/B00C6MVPH2

New Links:
    Upper:

Lowers:

Now just have to clean them up a little, paint the housing and links with a good final coat and that part of the project will be done.

I have to now install the diff and all the brake lines and e-brake lines.
    Order some shocks and re-install the rear and she will be rolling again.

I will be going back to just being open in the rear again till I can afford to regear to 4.88s.
    Since I only have a 4.10 ope diff, I will have to switch the front back to 4.10 as well, a lot of work yes but I unfortunately do not have a time line as to when the funds will be available for the 4.88 and I would rather be open open and have 4wd then no truck at all.

rear 3rds are cheap, buy a spare 4.10 and weld it!! instant locker, and not all together unpleasant on the street. Although on ice it may be more of a handful.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

avy now that you'll be back on the road will we expect to see a warped rear axle this time instead of the links or how about the mounts? (sarcasm.. since you went bonkers on your stock links on the last run you did)
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast