Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: URD Kit Question

URD Kit Question

Wasnt sure where to put this post, so mods, feel free to move it where ever.

My question is, Does URD offer discounts for being a member of UltimateYota or other non-specified Forums? I fugure while my supercharger is off being rebuilt i may aswell bite the bullet and get the fuel mods. let alone get close to 300hp outta my beast
    96 4Runner SR5 S/C - 03&#039; Tacoma coils 3&#039;&#039; Toytec Spacer lift with 1&#039;&#039; Diff Drop. 3 1/2&#039;&#039; Downey Rear lift Coil Springs.<br /><br />285/75R/16 Goodyear MT/R.<br /><br />URD Fuel Kit

Re: URD Kit Question

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo3
    Wasnt sure where to put this post, so mods, feel free to move it where ever.

My question is, Does URD offer discounts for being a member of UltimateYota or other non-specified Forums? I fugure while my supercharger is off being rebuilt i may aswell bite the bullet and get the fuel mods. let alone get close to 300hp outta my beast
    I wouldn't count on it, but sometimes they give deals on stuff so nothing wrong with asking if they have anything they want to get rid of. Don't forget to get a 2.2" pulley with the URD kit and you'll be able to push around 320Hp at the crank with a good tune.

If you're an Auto you're going to need the VB upgrade as well... unless you take it easy on the throttle which isn't as much fun...
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Got a 5 speed here , yeah the 2.2 pulley will be later down the road after i get the rebuild and urd kit mostly paid off. Let alone ill be learning how to program the ecu with the laptop myself. so i need to take it one step at a time. Hopefully i can get a discount on the kit. that would make my day! if thats the case the pulley would be ordered aswell hehehe
    96 4Runner SR5 S/C - 03&#039; Tacoma coils 3&#039;&#039; Toytec Spacer lift with 1&#039;&#039; Diff Drop. 3 1/2&#039;&#039; Downey Rear lift Coil Springs.<br /><br />285/75R/16 Goodyear MT/R.<br /><br />URD Fuel Kit

Got a 5 speed here , yeah the 2.2 pulley will be later down the road after i get the rebuild and urd kit mostly paid off. Let alone ill be learning how to program the ecu with the laptop myself. so i need to take it one step at a time. Hopefully i can get a discount on the kit. that would make my day! if thats the case the pulley would be ordered aswell hehehe
    I don't want to rain on your parade, but you'll need a little bit more than just the URD kit to tune your engine safely. It is best practice to at very least get an aftermarket wideband oxygen sensor kit to measure the AFR in your engine, and an OBD-II reader. This could push your cost up to about $1800 if you get the Fuel kit with IK-22 spark plugs and the FTC1-E, Wideband O2 sensor, smaller pulley, and scan tool.
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I don't think they give any discounts to any groups that I'm aware of.
    I have seen used URD kits go for sale on eBay though so check there too.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you'll need a little bit more than just the URD kit to tune your engine safely. It is best practice to at very least get an aftermarket wideband oxygen sensor kit to measure the AFR in your engine, and an OBD-II reader. This could push your cost up to about $1800 if you get the Fuel kit with IK-22 spark plugs and the FTC1-E, Wideband O2 sensor, smaller pulley, and scan tool.
    So, a laptop could not be used as an obdII reader? and now i would have to replace the o2 sensors? what other fine print things i need other than the urd fuel kit? i thought thats all i would need for it being a "kit" and being able to tune it with a laptop?? now im just confused.

So, a laptop could not be used as an obdII reader? and now i would have to replace the o2 sensors? what other fine print things i need other than the urd fuel kit? i thought thats all i would need for it being a "kit" and being able to tune it with a laptop?? now im just confused.
    They're not really fine print, it's just that by itself the Fuel Kit doesn't add the necessary engine metrics you'll need to be able to effectively tune the engine. "Tuning by feel" is definitely NOT an option.

The BR3 OBD-II Scan Tool that is sold on URD's website requires a laptop to display what it reads from the vehicle's computer. You also need to get a wideband oxygen sensor and gauge to be able to see how much fuel you have to add/subtract from the engine; I have the Innovate! Motorsports Stand Alone gauge kit and highly recommend it.

For everything you'll need to tune your engine properly, here is the approximate price breakdown you'll be looking at:

URD 3.4l V-6 Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit (FTC1-E and IK-22 plugs included): $1146.00
    Innovate Standalone Gauge Kit (LC-1 and XD-16): $399.00
    OBDII BR-3 Scan Tool: $93.00
    Stainless steel exhaust bungs (for additional oxygen sensor): $5.90
    URD 2.2" Supercharger Pulley: $139.99

LoTek Dual Gauge Pod (for boost and WB O2, from gaugepods.com): $54.99
    Painless Wiring "Cirkit Boss" Aux. Fuse block (for all components, from Summit Racing): $62.95

Total: $1901.83 , not including possible taxes or shipping.

It is worth pointing out that URD's prices are VERY competitive, and unless you find a used kit on Ebay, it's doubtful you'll be able to get all of the components above for cheaper. This is also assuming you have the necessary tools and skills to install everything yourself, including soldering the electrical connections for all of the components.

Basically, you have to pay to play
    Brian

Okay, so ill be xing out the 2.2 pulley... I thought the piggy back computer that comes with the kit was able to check the AFR from using the laptop. And wouldnt i be able to splice into my current o2 sensor to use a different afr gauge? and for the obII scan cable and software i can borrow that from a friend.

Okay, so ill be xing out the 2.2 pulley...
    Minus a little then...

I thought the piggy back computer that comes with the kit was able to check the AFR from using the laptop.
    Nope. The piggyback FTC is able to modify the fuel going into your engine, but not read the direct AFR.

And wouldnt i be able to splice into my current o2 sensor to use a different afr gauge?
    Using the stock narrow-band sensor as a tuning guide is a dangerous mistress. You can add a simple gauge that shows "lean-stoich-rich," but its reading is unreliable at best, and inaccurate at worst. To tune with a narrow-band o2 sensor it is also necesary to add an EGT gauge, which can be an expensive proposition. You won't really save any money by trying to use your existing narrow-band sensor, since a wideband setup is MUCH more accurate, easier to install (getting the bung installed at an exhaust shop only costs about $50), and gives you a secondary source of AFR so it's easy to see when your stock O2 sensor is going bad. I highly recommend going permanent install wideband; you'll be able to see problems before they occur and get a safer more reliable tune from the engine.

The biggest argument of all for wideband tuning is that Gadget's U-Tune guide assumes you have a wideband AFR sensor. Being able to use this guide is a great advantage for anyone who wants step-by-step instructions for tuning their engine.

and for the obII scan cable and software i can borrow that from a friend.
    That will save you $93 then.

Brian

I forgot to mention, you might consider getting URD's 7th injector kit instead of the fuel upgrade kit. It will save you a bit of money and make tuning a little bit easier (but not necessarily better).

BUT (and this is a big one) it doesn't include a way to fake out your stock oxygen sensor for closed-loop boost. Translation: you have to buy either a SplitSecond ESC1 ($189, and I haven't heard good things about it) or live with a possibly dangerous "dead region" in your powerband.
    Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast