Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: URD Kit Question

Re: URD Kit Question

Thanks for the info. I developed cracked heads a couple of years ago after 40K miles with the SC and took it off. It's been sitting on my shelf in a box waiting for the pockets to fill with the $1800 necessary to purchase the URD kit and tuning schtuff. I've contacted Magnuson and I'll post the result.
    I don&#039;t care if you laugh at me or with me, just laugh!!!<br /><br />&#039;97 4Runner, cstm Cougarfreak Exo n traction bar, Hi steer, SAS&#039;ed w/ &#039;81 Waggy D44 (superjoints, Chromos, and Chevy outters, n 4.56&#039;s) rear Ford D60 (35sp chromos, detroit n 4.56&#039;s), 35&quot; BFG Muds, YJ rear springs military wrapped w/ waggy main in front, Chevy 63&quot; springs rear, King air bumps, King 2.5&quot; res. shocks, Marlin 2.28 dual, twin stick.<br /><br />Photo Gallery<br />Cougarfreakphoto.com

Sweet, id like to hear what they had to say. And what generation of S/C is it? Mine is the Gen I (grey). So im not sure if there is a difference on rebuilt costs from both.
    96 4Runner SR5 S/C - 03&#039; Tacoma coils 3&#039;&#039; Toytec Spacer lift with 1&#039;&#039; Diff Drop. 3 1/2&#039;&#039; Downey Rear lift Coil Springs.<br /><br />285/75R/16 Goodyear MT/R.<br /><br />URD Fuel Kit

I have the black gen 2
    I don&#039;t care if you laugh at me or with me, just laugh!!!<br /><br />&#039;97 4Runner, cstm Cougarfreak Exo n traction bar, Hi steer, SAS&#039;ed w/ &#039;81 Waggy D44 (superjoints, Chromos, and Chevy outters, n 4.56&#039;s) rear Ford D60 (35sp chromos, detroit n 4.56&#039;s), 35&quot; BFG Muds, YJ rear springs military wrapped w/ waggy main in front, Chevy 63&quot; springs rear, King air bumps, King 2.5&quot; res. shocks, Marlin 2.28 dual, twin stick.<br /><br />Photo Gallery<br />Cougarfreakphoto.com

swizzle, id like to swap someone for the 2nd gen, but thatll never happen anytime. But yeah, let me know what magnuson has to say about your S/C.
    96 4Runner SR5 S/C - 03&#039; Tacoma coils 3&#039;&#039; Toytec Spacer lift with 1&#039;&#039; Diff Drop. 3 1/2&#039;&#039; Downey Rear lift Coil Springs.<br /><br />285/75R/16 Goodyear MT/R.<br /><br />URD Fuel Kit

what's the common problems with the gen 1's anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by cougarfreak
    what's the common problems with the gen 1's anyway?
    Leaky nose drive and noisy gears.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Ok since this thread is a few weeks old and Stevo3 has his other Fuel upgrade thread Im going to threadjack this one.

Guys (and/or gals) I have been reading sooooo much on this and Im not the brightest crayon in the box so Im asking for a little help on getting things cleared up. So I am buying a used 2nd gen. Supercharger with about 8500 miles on it. (Ive only paid for half so far). Well the current owner (whom builds turbo kits) doesnt have any trd or urd upgrades all he has is dynamic tensioner, standard pulley, and (a Turbo technology FMU. Boost dependent fuel pressure riser. nothing major, just helps at full throttle.) Thats quoted from him. Anyways through all my research and reading the engine needs its help with a system at all times, closed/open loop, to prevent pinging, afr, etc. etc.

So this is the part I need help with. I have a few options to choose from

OPTION 1:
    -URD Fuel Upgrade Kit - it also gives you the option to choose the LM-1
    -LM-1 (which is for Air/Fuel Ratio tuning. This uses the bung welded before the O2 sensor correct? And is this what people create the maps/tables with and enter values on the table? Or does this just trick the ECU into thinking its getting the 14.7/1 stoich?)

-So for option 1 would this be all I need?

OPTION 2:
    -URD 7th Injector Kit - which also gives the option to add LM-1 and/or an AFR calibrator (would this be the URD AFR sensor calibrator and how does it differ from the LM-1?)

Which option is better to go with? And are there more things I need?

When they say in the kits it includes (URD Performance Calibration Unit) Is this the FTC or whatever? And is this what you use to change the individual map cells?
    Mastacox you mentioned the OBDII Scan tool - Will the Scangauge II work for this cuz I have one of those.

I guess what Im really asking is What exactly do I need to make my engine run well, what do I need to tune it, what do I need to monitor it (I believe just AFR gauge is needed and boost and trans temp are just nice.)Also a big part is trying to understand what each device does and how it works?

Im not going to change pulley size right now because thats not critical, VB for my tranny will be done down the road -I will just take it easier for now,

I know this is a long post and I dont know if it makes much sense, and I do know it is a huge covered topic. But Im confused, call me stupid if youd like but please just help me figure out what I need while calling me stupid. Thanks in advance.

I would highly recommend getting these mods, For your option one: If you are getting that booster for your fuel pump and just the LM-1, I dont think the stock injectors can possibly push out more fuel then they already do.

The 7th injector kit is an option for you though. I believe URD found a good way to use it to its full capacity but has not released it yet??? You may want to give them a call and ask about that one.

You will need a Wide Band o2 reader, I got the Innovate one from URD. The portable one, not the permanent. I would also just get the walbro 190 fuel pump because your pushing the stock fuel pump past its limits with the the booster. Then your will need a OBDII reader that can give you readings while your engine is running. Pretty much to let you seen when it goes into open/closed loop. And then you will also need some sor of piggy back computer to control the fuel/timing.

I beleive what Ive said is true. If Im wrong someone else will chime in

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo3
    I would highly recommend getting these mods, For your option one: If you are getting that booster for your fuel pump and just the LM-1, I dont think the stock injectors can possibly push out more fuel then they already do.
    When you say that booster, you are referring to the URD Performance Calibration Unit that comes in the kit correct?? And is that unit the "Piggyback" controller I always hear about? Or is the piggyback something separate I need to buy that doesnt come in the kit such as the URD MAF/Timing Calibrator (FTC)?

Ya their 7th Injector Kit is out for purchase but I think I want the regular upgrade kit that way I get new injectors that I know will be up to the task.
    And I will add the LM-1 as well. As far as OBDII I have the scangauge that does tell you open/closed loop. Do any of the units you purchase plug into the OBDII port as well cuz if so I dont know how to have both those units running on it then?
    And that should be everything right?

I think Im starting to get it. Thanks for the help so far.

Yes, the URD kit comes with a brand new walbro 190 fuel pump. It also comes with the FTC1 unit to control the fuel/timing.

I made the mistake of calling it the LM-1, the LM-1 is the wideband fuel ratio o2 sensor.

And from what i hear, If you do get the complete kit, you wont regrete it . It will also allow you to run the 2.2 pulley which will ad about 2 - 3ish psi and another up to 15 hp.

All i have left to do with my kit is wait for the s/c to come back from Magnuson and slap that puppy back on and start tweakin with the FTC1 and get it into tune. Should be getting the s/c back next week thursday hopefully! I cant wait to see what the hype is all about with the kit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123