Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: long travel rear suspension with 35" tires?

I'll take pics of mine. Shouldn't be too hard to fab something up on your own.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i found a picture on the internet. I could use the 1/4' plate to make it strong enough

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    interesting... I hadnt seen that sway bar lift kit. That is something to keep in mind for sure. So far I like the performance of the sway bar how it is, but if I widen the track width with spacers it will be a candidate for bringing things back into spec.

Shocks on the outside are just the easiest way to make the long bodied shocks fit and work. Anything inside the frame will need a supporting cross member. When I looked there was a lot of business in that area so I'm not sure a cross member would be even doable. There is the benefit of mounting shocks straight up and down from a valving stand point but thats pretty minor in the grand scheme. The locations I see some people put there shocks on the outside of the frame would not work for me with the bigger tires. I wonder also how much they flexed out there trucks. I have no idea how you could mount a 2.5" bypass shock back there and not hit the frame or wail the tire.

The stock location ends up being a poor spot for these types of shocks since they generally have much longer compressed lengths for a given travel compared to normal gas shocks. Of course at this point I'd probably take crappy travel over all this fab work lol. I'm not sure I would trust the stock upper shock mount to much abuse anyhow. jumping a truck seems smooth in the driver seat but the shock mount is seeing much greater stress levels.

Gotcha....I was curious about it. Doubt my runner will ever go to 35's but who knows lol. I kinda like the idea of the shocks mounted outside since it would make replacement much better and remove the rock magnet of a lower shock mount as well.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

back to the drawing board. This weekend one of my upper rear mounts failed just shy of the racetrack in death valley. From what it looks like and what I'm told it appears a weld fail is the root cause, but its also shown me the stupid amount of stress this mount is going though. My minimalist plate mount isnt going to make me feel confident anymore.

First up is the carnge pictures. This happened on a bombing run from Ubehebe Crater to the race track. I wanted to do my planed three day run in just two days so I was letting the tires and the suspension feel the pain. In another tidbit of humiliation I had just run down a jeep trying to make a speed record of his own. I carefully worked up through his dust and made myself visible. I saw him look in the mirror and then he just tried going faster...so I made a pass worthy of a baja race lol. But a fun as that was it was all for nothing when he passed me back as I inspected the damages trailside. (side note: I have no idea why people dont pull over like I used to when a faster truck comes up from behind. I actually find people will drive like idiots in every effort to not allow me to pass. Are we really racing???)

you can see here the upper weld is pretty crappy. I knew it was substandard, but had figured the mount just needed to be strong in compression and the rebound forces would be minimal. As you can see the 1/4" plate was bent right over via the rebound.

turns out the shock is fine. This is just tire marks on my clear vinyl sticker protection. Luckily I stopped in time before it was damaged. Unluckily a rouge shock smashing into your wheel well makes enough noise its hard to ignore.

My next mount will be similar but will not be relying on the single brace to save the day. Unfortunatly I do not have a tube bender because I understand now thats the lightest and most fool proof design. My original thoughts on the plate mounts having desirable location benefits turned out to pointless when the shock contacted the frame under flex. I'll post up more on the new mounts this week, but its going to be more 1/4 plate.

I had planned to film the whole trip, but all I really got was Titus canyon lol.

Awesome video, Troy! I loved Death Valley when I went a few years ago. It was way better than I expected it to be.

Bummer about your shock mount, but it's great that the shock was fine.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

The video was awesome! Too bad about the shock mount. I give you props for all the work but it's amazing that you folded up 1/4" steel like that.

I'm very new to making fab stuff but is there any way to triangulate the mount to deal with the stresses? It's hard to say what I mean but possibly extend the actual shock mount weld to the top part of the frame as a gusset and perhaps put another wall on the outside of the mount with a few horizontal braces between. It would allow for flex a little but it would reinforce as well. I probably couldn't weld it up either lol. I'm sure you have a good idea of what you need though.

I'm still amazed that you broke that mount. Definitely want to see the new design.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 11-22-2014 at 07:56 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

it was nuts and the last thing I expected to find when I heard the noise. oh well it was a cheap lesson to learn as far as truck things go. I'm just tired of re-working those mounts.

The new one will just have more braces sorta like I think you are talking about. A second brace on the back and one on the front should work well and never allow it to free float on a large fulcrum again. I believe it will be overbuilt but in a worst case scenario it should bend and not have a chance to hinge and break like this one.

Ok heres round 2 or 3 if you count v1.1 With any luck this will be good to go.

Yep that wasn't far off what I was trying to describe. That's a BEEFY mount! You have even more bracing than I thought about. Looks great!
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Great video and great job on the repair. The original does look like the vertical weld failed then the pushing and pulling from the shock broke the piece, nicely done.

Your repair looks solid and it looks like you jumped right on it. I think capping it and adding the triangulation will stiffen it up a ton and give you better results.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345