Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: long travel rear suspension with 35" tires?

the google gods were on my side this afternoon. These pics say it all...35" km2's, 1" spacers and a 11" shock (looks like 2" body). There are some variables though since hes on unknown backspaced rims and a disk brake convertion. The tire is stuffing into the wheel well, so with a 35 KM2 he cant be spaced out much further then me.

Originally Posted by Broker View Post
    - What wheels are you running? Pro Comp 98 series 17"
    - What is the backspacing of your wheels? 4.5"
    - Do you rub the frame at full lock? No, LT arms
    - Do you rub the UCA at full droop? No
    - Are you running wheel spacers, if so how big are they? Only in rear 1"
    - 1" body lift

good2.jpggood.jpg
    Last edited by troyboy162; 10-13-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Great find. Is it from a forum or something like that where you can contact him? You'd have to assume that's stuffed and can't go anymore otherwise there would be shock contact.

That looks like a rock friendly design as far as how the shock and lower links are mounted. I bet you could get another inch to the 12 you wanted if the mount stuck down a bit more and angled the shock like your sketches.

It is from http://toyotaoff-road.com/ I think I'm ok with the measurements since he is ballpark where I am at and I intend to go more inboard with the shock by pounding or cutting the wheel well. 1-1.5 inches inboard of his upper mount (and 1.5-2" higher), then 1.5-2 inched more outboard of his lower mount since I have no caliper to worry about. My interference would no longer be the tire but possibly the top corner of the frame under droop.

Its weird that everyone keeps using the tubes and mounting under them. I might be missing something thats obvious, but with a plate mount (like lances first mount) you can get the shock up 2 inches higher. higher in the well sounds like the goal since that bring the lower mount away from the rocks.

another ghetto sketch. the red circle is the area that cant be messed with much. The seat brackets are right on the other side of the wheel well so you can go in very far in that spot.
    good3.JPG

I am not familiar with Lance's first mount (link?) but that style of shock mount puts the steel in tension and sheer, two things steel is good at resisting. it looks like the plate mount might induce a bending moment in the plate, something that steel is not very good at managing. Tube is more of a structural product than plate, although plate can be made to be VERY structural, it is more work.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Lance's plate mount: http://www.chaosedition.com/index.ph...&id=3&Itemid=4

I like this mount. The only thing I would add is a gusset on the front face of the plate back to the frame to keep it from rolling forward/center. Also maybe some boxing on the top of the two mounting tabs.

as for cutting into the rear seats, you don't have yours anymore right? I know that eliminates that option for other people like me, but it might be worthwhile for you.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I took my seats out temporarily a year ago lol, but I will put them back in some day. As for lances mount, a few gussets would be in order to ensure it will take the abuse. Lance used 1/4 plate to make up for lack of gussets. 1/4 main plate with 3/16 gussets...I think its doable at the cost of weight vs the tube solution, but the higher mount point is too much to pass up. besides I dont have a bender

stealing more pictures
    With no springs I need to run 1" spacers (265/75/16 goodyear mts) to clear everything perfectly.
    I will take pics of flex.
    They are 10" shocks.
    But we think I could run longer ones no prob.
    When I blow these ill look into longer ones.
    I know broker is running 11" shocks on his hoops but they are different.

Total Chaos has a kit for the tacoma that takes a interesting approach. We have more articulation so I kinda think think lower should be mounted on the other axis like out stock shock.

Those look like heims, so that might not be a horrible solution to the problem. I think our problem is the articulation potentially sending the shock body into the frame.

I'm not sure it will be able to keep up with the slinky 4runners. It means lots of testing for me lol. I still just want to copy someone that I know has thought this through! If I can keep them in the same axis as the above tacoma they will be always be in the most durable position during loading. Lance put his the other way and I can see that will be the best choice for a axle flexing heavily.

Lances lower

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast