Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED headlight bulb replacements

www.theretrofitsource.com is having a pretty darn good black friday sale.

10% off all orders $100 or less! Coupon = TRSgiving10
    15% off any order $150 or more! Coupon = TRSgiving15
    20% off any order $200 or more! Coupon = TRSgiving20
    25% off any order $300 or more! Coupon = TRSgiving25

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ene.../#.UpZ2veKnfyo

If you were thinking about doing the conversion, now might be a good time to buy!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

new styles came out. kinda interesting to see them evolve. The prices are coming down too. The first one is the most interesting, but I dont quite see how low and high beam work.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-HB2-9003-...-/111329498254

this one has a tunable base so you can turn it to get the best pattern from your housings. the 3600lm claim is a little outrageous of course
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-H4-9003-H...9a530c&vxp=mtr

It is exciting to see these evolve and I'm glad they are. I was following review threads of a few guys who bough the V-LED versions as I was interested in buying some. In one write up the guy seemed to like this high beams a lot. Part of me thought that this was because they weren't bright enough but I chalked it up to him being a young guy that likes to drive around blinding people. He ended up blowing a ballast (I'm not well versed in the components) probably due to running them hot a lot. The was very impressed with V-LEDS customer service and they sent him a new part right away.

Another guy was having trouble sealing up the back of the housing. This is a bit of a deal breaker for me. For a long time I've had trouble keeping moisture and dust out of my stock housing. I could see this being a larger problem with these drop ins that don't allow the factory rubber boot to be installed. I think he ended up wrapping a Gore-Tex type material around the back of the housing and light fixture, no thanks.

The above models have heat sinks unlike the fans on the V-LEDS. I like the idea of the fans because they are always moving air across the fins. The down side is you always have a fan running. They look like little computer fans so who knows how long they would last with dust and water which my engine compartment sees. Heat sinks sound better but I think they won't allow you to install the rubber boot and they absorb the heat that is already in the engine compartment. It was 100* here yesterday and my UltraGauge reported my intake air temperature as high as 150*, granted this was during the day. I'd assume the heat sinks would be toasty but maybe I'm wrong and there is enough air flow behind the headlight.

I'm looking forward to what comes with these. The low price is nice but I'm thinking it might reflect quality.

I'm not here to poo poo this since LED headlights are something I would love to have on the 4Runner. But I don't expect those to last very long due to the really tiny heatsink. Here's what an OEM LED headlight heatsink looks like: (Nissan Leaf)

Valeo, the manufacturer of a lot of OEM lighting, says manufacturers are starting to spec LED headlights because "LEDs now exceed the brightness of HID systems while defining new levels of efficiency." Clearly LED headlights have evolved considerably in the past six months, and will continue to do-so. But I think I will wait for version 2.0.
    Last edited by paddlenbike; 05-16-2014 at 02:07 PM.

The new Corolla has LED headlights standard too, and I've been curious to see what it takes to mount some of them in the 4Runner.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I think they will be OK as is. I'm sure reliability will suffer some and LED lifespan will be cut from 50k hours to 20k hours. Living with filament bulbs that can die at anytime gives them a good hand up in reliability. The bridged heatsink design has been on flashlights in a more extreme form and proven itself although its not popular due to the small increase in beam pattern and designs limited wattage.

The fans will never win for our application in the dirt and water, but I've seen those brushless CPU fans live in some pretty horrible environments. We could run those fans too and just might have to replace them every so often... $2 items

Gonna have to keep watching how this plays out. The Chinese apparently want the drop in market and they will figure it out the best they can at a price point that makes sense. Can our reflectors make it worth while is the biggest question I have. Hids sure dont work well for 96-98 that I've seen. Maybe a little better in the 99-02, but still wasteful in the spread.
    Last edited by troyboy162; 05-16-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Yeah, if you don't have a good reflector or projector, the best bulb in the world still throws trash.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

yup. I think they have a better chance then the HID's since light spot is small and uniform in color. There have been some promising pictures on the web so far with other housings. All I know is young kids will snatch these up for the 6000k shade and we can see what they find out lol.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    All I know is young kids will snatch these up for the 6000k shade and we can see what they find out lol.
    That's what I'm hoping on. I was about to pull the trigger on the V-LED's twice but pretty glad I didn't.

I saw this review today. It looks like they are OK in the 99-02 housings. Not blowing stock headlights away, but a improvement and the pattern looks useable. I wonder how they would work in 96-98? Still lots of variables in construction/leds/amps to think about.
    http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...a-4runner.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast