Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED headlight bulb replacements

I am working with a set of these right now:

They are LED fog lights from the M-version of the BMW X5.

Here is the output, fog lights only:

The width looks comparable to that of my HID Hella Micro DEs.

It won't be long before HID is a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    The new Corolla has LED headlights standard too, and I've been curious to see what it takes to mount some of them in the 4Runner.
    I just read a review on the new Corolla and the author specifically mentioned how bright the headlights are. As much of an LED fan as I am, I never thought we'd see LED as the main lighting on $13,000 cars by the year 2014.

Still watching the progress on LED drop in bulbs...The designs are changing to more fanless offerings, the price has dropped to the $60-80 range and the reports are mostly good. These could be a safe bet soon for higher output with close to proper spread. The bad thing right now is sifting through the marketing hype for the best one and the reviews are from 16 year old kids that are probably mostly happy with the 6k color more then anything.

I am seriously looking at the Russian housings and an led combo. I know it might not work well but I still have the pre 99 housings too
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I think you'd be in $400 after shipping for the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    I think you'd be in $400 after shipping for the setup.
    Yeah that's kinda what I figure as well. Shipping would be kinda steep but I really do like the design of the housings.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

These popped up in my email this morning. The flexible heatsink looks promising. https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...aid/2221/4993/
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Interesting. I like the heatsink rather than a fan but those fins look a little weak. I guess the good thing is you could extend them to a heat sink where there is room.

Based on what I have read, the ones with a fan are a no-go for an offroad vehicle. The heatsinks on all of these aftermarket ones likely can't carry enough heat for longterm reliability, but as a Cree stockholder who follows LED news, LEDs are getting more efficient and produce less heat than previous generations. In other words, less and less heatsink will be needed in the future.

For comparison, this is what the heatsink looks like on my Nissan's LED headlight:

I will jump on the LED headlight bandwagon in another year or two as the product improves.

Man that one is pretty interesting. You wouldn't have to mod your bulb boot with that. I wonder how it stacks up against the other offerings since none of the heatsinks have very good thermal paths anyhow.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast