Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4Runner Heated Mirror / Mirror Glass Swap, The Hard, Harder, and Horrible Ways.

Ken, thanks! And thanks for the confirmation about the mirror differences. I was pretty confident in that claim, but didn't bother to research.

Edit: I believe it is 96-00 and 01-02. Dan's 2000 has the same mirrors as mine.

Mike, thanks. I am not positive my rear defroster works. The light does not come on. I'll have to play with it later.

I don't think I would have had much luck with that impact driver on the mirror. You would have to support it between the mirror housing and the door bracket, upside down on the flat of the hinge. Replacing the screws was easier.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 11-03-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I got a 1/2 and 3/8 one. Half inch one gave me no issues taking those tiny screws out of that carb bowl Mike. Just gotta support whatever it is. Thing that makes them work so well is your forcing the bit or socket onto the bolt/screw/nut at the same time its turning-so no slipping.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Looks great Sean! You will like the heated mirrors. They are super nice to have.

If you need to take apart stuff on my 4runner for a reference, you are welcome to do so.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Thanks Dan!

Now that you mention it, I want to pull out of one the connecting rods and look at it. Is it OK if I pull your engine apart?

I should post the wiring diagram I have of the stock heated mirrors. I wish I could have implemented it that way but just too difficult.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Sean, as long as the offer is out can you pull the oil pan and take a picture of the bottom end? Also, in regards to the center dome light. Can you pull the headliner to see if the wiring comes from the driver side or the passenger side? KTHX.

Poor Dan will come back to find his vehicle dismantled to it's component's component parts!

I've had my fill of disassembly lately. Yesterday I took off the grill and headlights to hopefully bump them up a little bit, Not sure how much I got out of them though.

Look under the paint, I've always been curious if each body panel uses the same color primer.

Im no interested in heated mirrors, but maybe this will assist me in the dismantling of the drivers side mirror on the 80 series. it wobbles (the glass) and I need to fix it... you know, when I have time. haha.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Yeah, I figured the market for heated mirror swap is pretty small, but it does give some insight on how 4Runner mirrors are put together, and I imagine you can extend that to the 80 as well, since they were designed at similar times.

Of course this does have me wondering... did they make an 80 series heated mirror?
    WE have a pretty loaded 80 series, and dont have the option...but it does make me wonder...

If not, I will have to look into glass difference between the 4runner units and the FZJ80 units.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast