Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
There are hardly any EVs on the road around here. I think I've seen one Leaf here in Fayetteville. I did see a Tesla Model S up on Raleigh, and I'm sure there are more EVs up there, but I only make the trek up that way about once a month.

The Tesla Model lll could be game changer, and I would definitely consider one for a DD.
The hottest selling states are those that offer tax rebates. California offers a $2,500 rebate to be used twice in your lifetime and Georgia offers a $5,000 state rebate, plus of course the $7,500 federal rebate. Atlanta, Georgia usually takes first place for number of EVs sold due to the huge incentives. I wouldn't drive one without the rebates, because it wouldn't make financial sense at this time.

I would love a $35k 200 mile Tesla Model III, but I don't think it will happen. Many are guessing it will be closer to $40k and missing a few very desireable options, and the supercharger access (free charging for life) will cost an additional $2,000 just like Tesla does for the Tesla Model S with the 'smaller' 60kw battery. I suspect I will end up with a 150-mile Leaf 2.0 for <$35k. That extra 50 miles of range (assuming the Leaf tops-out at 150 miles--maybe it won't), isn't worth much to me based on my driving patterns.

Chevrolet is promising a 200-mile Sonic EV with price set to undercut a $35,000 Model III. If that happens, Nissan will have to offer a 200 mile Leaf for that price or charge less money. Keep in mind those numbers are before $7,500-$12,500 in rebates.