Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: electric cars catching on?

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I have to agree with Adam, if it wasn't the ugliest car for sale today, maybe they would sell more.
    Toyota has a problem with ugly across much of the Toyota/Lexus lineup.

I am not sure how other manufacturers are going to compete with Tesla on this one. The Chevy Bolt will beat the Tesla Model 3 to market, but it costs more, has less range, certainly isn't sexy and lacks Tesla's charging network. The new Nissan Leaf is coming too, but I don't expect it to compete in the same class, which means somehow they will have it price it really low. When you figure the Model 3 only costs $600 more than the 84 mile Leaf I have, Nissan will have to double the battery capacity, make it far better looking AND cut the price just to compete. I hadn't planned to make a deposit, but after I saw the car and read reviews of people that have driven the pre-production Model 3s, I knew I had to at least throw my name in the pile. I don't buy cars willy-nilly, but I think this one will be a game-changer and if the financials make sense, I will go through with it.

All we know is:
    -$35k before rebates (currently $10k, but will be lower as time goes on)
    -Minimum 215 miles of range (dual motor AWD versions are more efficient and have greater range)
    - 0 to 60 in under 6 seconds in slowest version
    - 5 star safety rating
    - Tesla supercharger access
    - Optional dual motor AWD
    - Optional crazy fast models

I just hope Tesla can pull this one off.

The biggest downfall for tesla will be repair facilities. Sure most people will be buying tesla as a second vehicle but at 35k. It could be the only vehicle for a single person. I don't know about yo but I don't think I could be down my only vehicle and have to tow it back to HQ for repairs.
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by toyotech View Post
    The biggest downfall for tesla will be repair facilities. Sure most people will be buying tesla as a second vehicle but at 35k. It could be the only vehicle for a single person. I don't know about yo but I don't think I could be down my only vehicle and have to tow it back to HQ for repairs.
    I am not sure whether Tesla will fail massively or be the next Apple, to which they are often compared. On one hand they have a cult following, make an amazing product that literally every auto manufacturer is struggling to duplicate, they have 300,000 pre-orders and have enough room in their factory to build out to 500,000 cars per year. On the other hand, at 500,000 cars per year they will have to produce as many lithium batteries as the entire world currently manufactures (hence, their gigafactory in Nevada), and triple or quadruple their assembly line production. That is no easy task, but I wish Elon and Tesla the best.

What I like about Tesla is that they truly believe in EV's and are attacking their shortcomings head on. Lack of range, lack of infrastructure. Tesla's success might not necessarily be billions in Musk's pocket: it will be pushing the EV industry as a whole to the mainstream as other companies fight to keep up or begin making use of Tesla's technology.
    Speaking of that, aren't all Tesla patents free to use? I'm surprised nobody has partnered with Tesla yet to gain access to their Superchargers to increase the range of their vehicles (yes, they'd need to modify their charging interface for the Superchargers).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I read an interesting article on Jalopnik suggesting that Tesla sell their chassis, which is essentially an electric skateboard underneath the body, to specialty coachbuilders. These small companies wouldn't need to develop the most expensive, complicated part of their vehicles - the drivetrain. They could simply source that entirely from Tesla and then build custom bodies to plop on top - just like people used to do with VW's in the 70's.
    Could you imagine a modern, electric dune buggy?

And here's the Jalopnik article about the Tesla chassis. http://jalopnik.com/why-tesla-needs-...ody-1767589269

That second link on the chassis concept is definitely interesting. If the smaller coach builders do jump on this it'll be very interesting to see how the market changes.

For now I'm gonna sit on the sidelines and see how the auto industry changes and then begin considering a new vehicle. For now my old clunkers are stuck with me.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

pair that modular chassis with this new law: http://jalopnik.com/new-low-volume-c...-bi-1712399892

We could see some truly awesome, low volume automobiles come out. Just think, an electric GT40. Or how about an electric 63 Lincoln Continental. Corvair? Rambler? Citroen DS?

You have my vote!!!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

That's really weird about that proposed law, that it has to be a replica. Seems very arbitrary and limiting.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast