Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: electric cars catching on?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    Really? That's lame. I wonder how hard it would be to make an adapter?
    There are actually three quick charge standards--CHaDEMO, Tesla Supercharger and now SAE combo. Tesla sells an adapter for $450 that will allow Tesla cars to charge on CHaDEMO, which is the quick charge standard used on all EVs except the e-Golf and BMW i3. The BMW i3 and the e-Golf will use the SAE combo type. It does have an advantage, the 120/240 volt charging and the quick charging can all be done on the same port, whereas the CHaDEMO has one port for 120/240V and a second port for quick charging, which takes up space. On a gas conversion car like an e-Golf, they can fit one port in the fuel door area but not two. But it will take a long time for that standard to catch on, if it does, and it just creates another obstacle to EV adoption. Very much a VHS/beta situation.

Yup, the handling sold me and why i didn't by the Prius.
    The Golf is a nice car to drive, the Prius is an appliance. The Atkinson cycle engine, CVT transmission and uninspiring suspension do nothing to help. I had to laugh at today's article, Toyota announcing they are going after Tesla (who stole the green car spotlight from the Prius) and they plan to offer a new exciting Prius. I know what that means, a shark-mouth front end just like everything else Toyota is coming out with.

There are two other Golfs of interest, the GTE and GTD. The GTE is a hybrid with a 148 hp 1.4L turbo gas engine combined with a 101 hp electric motor, a 31 mile all-electric range and 0-62 in 7.6 seconds. The most important part is it has GTI underpinnings. Won't come to the U.S. though.

And the GTD is a TDI diesel Golf but with a revised block and head, different intercooler and turbo, with output increased to 184 hp and 280 ft lbs of torque. It also has GTI underpinnings, which means it sits 0.6" lower than a regular Golf. May come to the U.S.

That makes the Golf line available with a gas engine, diesel, hybrid and electric powertrains.

It's good looking too.

They are fairly good looking I agree. Tech is moving ahead at a pretty good pace.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I see a bit of a problem with the design of electric cars. Most people probably want something that looks like a normal car but is a bit special to show off the fact it is electric. Some want a sleeper, no change what so ever, except maybe a badge. Others want something like the I3 where it looks like a space ship from the galaxy Ugly.

I haven't see anyone do the middle correctly.

The Rav4 electric had that weird face, and I have seen more on the back of tow trucks than on the road under their own power.
    The electric Fiat 500 still looks like a 500, which is a big mistake.

The Volt is meh, especially when compared to the concept. It is not a bad looking car, but it sounds like they have about 2.5 their desired inventory level, wonder why?
    The Leaf is not a pretty car, but does the "Look, I'm electric!" very well without looking too strange.

That Golf looks pretty decent, mainly because it still looks like a golf. As long as they keep the "fun to drive" box checked, it will be a winner, especially among people who want an electric car and not just a fashion statement.

I am hopeful for the future of electric cars, and I may very well buy one in the next generation where range is over 150 miles. I am really looking forward to some new designs and some "out of the box" thinking, as long as it is less concept car bull, and more adding real value to the product.

I have to say, the Tesla is the winner in the design department, at least with the Model S (the X looks like it is going to be awkward). I see them all the time, and instantly know what it is, but not in a bad way. From a distance, it looks like it could be an Audi. It just has so much class, something a Toyota (even in Lexus trim) or anyone else will never have.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Right now, I enjoy the fact that the Leaf is recognizable as an electric vehicle. People always ask us about the car and I enjoy talking to people about it. I have let half my neighborhood drive it. None of that would happen with an e-Golf or Focus electric. But I'm over it now and want my next one to be a good looking car. As you said Sean, Tesla has done a really good job of making that statement without making an ugly spaceship car. I really, really want Nissan's next Leaf to make that happen too, while providing the 150+ miles of range that they promise.

The Nissan Sway concept could possibly be the next Leaf. If so, I kind of like it:

The Leaf was the first mass produced EV so I sort of expect it to be about refining the electric powertrain and offering not a lot else. I want the next version to combine everything they have learned about electrification and software and combine that with a chassis that does more than hold the wheels and motor. I want a hot-hatch EV. Not sure I'll get that with round 2, but I can hope. Tesla has proven that two electric motors are more efficient than one, so high-HP affordable AWD electrics should come, with time.

You should totally get a BMW i3. That is the most beautiful of all the cars, not just the EVs. Said no one ever.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I have no room to talk since I drive one of the ugliest cars made but I can certainly agree the BMW is ugly.

I dont think the leaf is ugly. It is not beautiful but it has nice lines and proportions. The BMW i3 looks like some rejected Apple iPod packaging made it's way into a car.

A very interesting thread, up here (greater vancouver area) I don't see many electric cars. We have 3 quite dark and rainy months a year. I would imagine the heating, lights and wipers, and cool temperatures would reduce the range a fair bit in the winter.

I've actually looked at them, but the range has always been my concern.

A while ago I came across this article and found it quite fascinating and it is a very cool car:
    http://driving.ca/porsche/911/auto-n...-from-tomorrow

Imagine if you can adapt that to the public quick chargers.
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8
    2011 4Runner SR5

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast