Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: electric cars catching on?

I am now half-way through my 3 year lease on the LEAF and I still really like this car. I have just over 17,000 miles on the odometer and the car has burned 3,848.9 kilowatts of electricity worth $434.92 (11.3 cents per kilowatt at my house). The 4Runner would go less than 2,300 miles on that same money. It's still hard for me to believe it's that cheap to drive, and quite frankly I have most certainly spent less than $50 total on electricity since I mostly charge at work.

The Chevy Volt, while not fully electric, is turning out to be a really well engineered car too. There are a few out there that now have 250,000 miles on the odometer and the batteries and engine are still working like new. Because most Volts spend more than 65% of their life running solely on electricity, the wear and tear on the gas motor is a fraction of what it would be on a regular gas car, plus the high torque requirement of getting the car rolling is always put on the electric motor and keeps the gas generator from having to see those loads.

I am happy to see more EVs and extended range EVs (like the Volt) coming to market next year.

Electric cars are definitely catching on.
    I didn't get a chance to snap a picture, but down at the beach here in Delaware are the Tanger outlets,
    combine those with tax free shopping, its a happening place.
    Well recently they have revamped the 3 main outlets with new looks and now, charging stations!
    So electric cars are definitely catching on.
    What I find funny, is the cars parked at those charge stations, Tesla, every single outlet...
    I haven't seen many leafs floating around but Tesla has definitely been popping up more and more.

I am def looking to the future of EVs might be a option depending on where I end up :-)

I see at least one Tesla on my daily commute, sometimes 2 or 3. I see a number of leafs and volts as well. I saw a C-Max Energi the other day on the offramp.

Our local WalMart has had charging stations since the EV1 days, and now about all you see there is Teslas. Funny to see a $120k vehicle in the back of the Walmart parking lot!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I see at least one Tesla a day, probably the same guy but since I moved to Delaware its been a different color every year, first it was silver, then it was white now it it red lol

We had two come through work, they were pretty sweet.

I would love a Tesla, but will would probably settle for a leaf if the option presents itself...

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I see at least one Tesla on my daily commute, sometimes 2 or 3. I see a number of leafs and volts as well. I saw a C-Max Energi the other day on the offramp.

Our local WalMart has had charging stations since the EV1 days, and now about all you see there is Teslas. Funny to see a $120k vehicle in the back of the Walmart parking lot!
    Whenever I come down from the high desert I see at least 3 teslas. They are pretty nice looking cars. Saw a couple of leafs but honestly I see the most volts. It's ugly and sticks out.

For all of the tree hugging hippies out here there are absolutely no charging stations before palm springs. You're stuck with 120 for charging period out here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Another car that is often overlooked is the Chevrolet Volt. GM has made sh*t cars as long as I have been alive, but the Volt is truly a well engineered car. Unlike the completely pathetic plug in Prius, the Volt is an electric vehicle until it runs out of juice, at which point the gas generator starts and recharges the battery. The plug in prius has a completely different architecture and it can't accelerate, run cabin heat or drive over 61 MPH on electricity, not to mention its pathetic 6 mile range. The 2016 Volt was just officially rated by EPA today at 53 miles of all-electric range and 47 MPG after the gas generator starts.

http://insideevs.com/2016-chevrolet-...42-mpg-on-gas/

GM needs to make an SUV with that drivetrain.

I saw a camo'd next gen Prius making its way up the back of a flat bed on the side of the freeway a few weeks ago. Engineer did not look happy.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

We have had a few Volts come thru, and when I think about it, usually doesn't need too much make sure they are good for resell.
    But I just can not get over the looks of it, I would rather have the leaf.

Toyota really needs to get there head in the game or just give up.

I would love an SUV with a drive train like that or any all electric drive.

maybe I should just save my pennies for a Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    We have had a few Volts come thru, and when I think about it, usually doesn't need too much make sure they are good for resell.
    But I just can not get over the looks of it, I would rather have the leaf.

maybe I should just save my pennies for a Tesla
    Hate to say it but my personal opinion is that electric isn't the answer for personal transport yet. Don't get me wrong I think the development of batteries and hybrid are both amazing but I will bet my bottom dollar the winner is going to be who comes out with a safe hydrogen setup. Toyota is working on that currently in socal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post

This guys is on Pirate and has a few electric toys. One being a third gen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l8ap34OSxw
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 08-04-2015 at 08:19 AM.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast