Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: electric cars catching on?

On Monday GM announced a 200-mile electric car named the Bolt will hit production in 2017.

Nissan responded by saying the LEAF 2.0 will be out a year sooner, which will "have that amount or more range." My lease is up late 2016, which means gen2 EVs should be in full production by then.

Is this LEAF 2.0? I'd rock it.

I could do the leaf...doesn't look bad at all plus that 200 MI range would make an event usable for me out here.

However that gm contraption wouldn't work. I would feel like the ant under the magnifying glass during the summer lol.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I like the electric Focus and Golf, but both only have a range of 75 or so miles. If I weren't living on an island, I would probably consider an electric car for a DD.

Now that I'm stuck on an island and live a mile from work, I've burned 1/2 tank of fuel in the last 2 weeks. I figured an electric car isn't worth it for me.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    I like the electric Focus and Golf, but both only have a range of 75 or so miles. If I weren't living on an island, I would probably consider an electric car for a DD.

Now that I'm stuck on an island and live a mile from work, I've burned 1/2 tank of fuel in the last 2 weeks. I figured an electric car isn't worth it for me.
    You could look into a hyper cool golf cart with that kind of requirement!
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post

I'm not sure about the Gulf Islands but the islands further north in Canada are littered with 4Runners. Many of the roads are unimproved and the only way to get building supplies on the island is to drive your trusty 4Runner onto a ferry and go to the nearest island with Home Depot, load it to the gills and come home. For that type of living, I think only a 4WD SUV would do.

I love TopGear and was excited to see Clarkson review one of my favorite cars, the BMW M3 (happens to be one of Clarkson's favorites too), which he put up against the new hybrid BMW i8. Clarkson is famous for bashing hybrids, but I enjoyed hearing his commentary on how the M3 is yesterday and the i8 is tomorrow. He gave it a great review, although the i8 isn't a perfect car.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2h9uzy_bmw_auto

Over the weekend I tested the new VW e-Golf. Overall, I like it. It's specs are nearly identical to that of the LEAF, so don't expect any more range or amazing features that Nissan just couldn't think of. But it was more fun to drive.

What I liked about the e-Golf:
    - MUCH better looking than the Leaf on the outside. It has some stupid aero wheels but that can be fixed.
    - Interior is less gimmicky. It's a converted gas car but I prefer the analog gauges versus the Leaf's spaceship LCD displays. The tach is replaced with a motor power/regen dial and the fuel gauge shows battery level with more detailed range and batt info available on the center screen.
    - Bar-none the best thing about the e-Golf is the handling...it feels more GTI-like than Nissan Versa-like. I like the firm ride too.
    - Has 3 regen settings to the Leaf's 2 settings and the third setting offers more regen braking than the Leaf. 1 pedal driving is awesome.
    - Has power seat recline (but not fore/aft adjustment). I like the infinite adjustment.
    - LED DRLs
    - nicer exterior color options.

What I didn't like compared to the Leaf:
    - charge port is located at the rear where the gas filler would be. Very inconvenient when public charging compared to the Leaf's front compartment.
    - The Germans decided to use their own fast-charging connector, so there are very few SAE-combo quick chargers in the U.S. versus the Leaf's CHaDEMO connector with stations in the thousands.
    - touch screen is smaller than the Leaf and harder to see
    - aero wheels are terrible

I am waiting for a higher range EV, but the e-Golf is a nice alternative to the Leaf. If I had to choose one today I am hard-pressed to say which one I would end up with. The lack of good quick-charging support with the VW is a bummer but that's not something I really use. Given the VW's better handling, better looks and nicer interior, I just might end up with the VW. But only in a lease situation, because quite frankly I don't trust VW's reliability, especially for their first EV offering.

When my lease ends in a year and a half, I hope VW gives us a bigger battery, more powerful motor, a sunroof as an option. I'd pay extra for a GTI-like wheel package. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    - The Germans decided to use their own fast-charging connector, so there are very few SAE-combo quick chargers in the U.S. versus the Leaf's CHaDEMO connector with stations in the thousands.
    Really? That's lame. I wonder how hard it would be to make an adapter?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

ken,

yup, the handling sold me and why i didn't by the Prius.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast