Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Windows 8 less crappy

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    Its unfortunate the luck you have had with windows 8,

We have windows 8.1 on both our Lenovo's, one touch screen and one none and have gotten use to using windows 8 fast.
    I find myself using my old Lenovo with Windows 7 pro less (then again it needs a new battery and I am not sure I want to spend the money on it now that I have a new laptop).

My mini Desktop is running Windows 7 Pro still (it's an HP that needs a new power supply unfortunately, which it will be its second one...)

I didn't get a chance to re read the thread but was building your own PC not an option?
    My stepfather did that for himself and my mother and they are both running windows 7 pro.

I have been meaning to try out Ubuntu, but as Sean stated, most of our pcs are more tools then hobbies anymore....
    I second YotaFun on this one. Building will get you what you want and they have several small form factors that really are kind of impressive. I build most of my own stuff.

Asus has outstanding quality. I run Asus motherboards, peripherals, and other parts. They haven't failed me.

BTW if you need help with a parts list I can help. I have built everything from 3k gaming rigs to sub 1000 budget builds. Putting together a computer is slightly similar to exensive Legos.

stamped and snail mailed
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 06-09-2014 at 06:08 PM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    I didn't get a chance to re read the thread but was building your own PC not an option?
    My stepfather did that for himself and my mother and they are both running windows 7 pro.

I have been meaning to try out Ubuntu, but as Sean stated, most of our pcs are more tools then hobbies anymore....
    Avi, I have built my own PCs in the past, but with a child on the way, I won't have time.

The Gateways and HPs of today seem to get really bad reviews and ASUS has mostly positive. Thank you guys for the feedback on the ASUS.

To build your own, takes an evening, maybe two.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    To build your own, takes an evening, maybe two.
    I'm guessing you spend a lot of time tucking wires. If I get 5 hours to myself I can build, test, and get most of it set up. The install on the os takes foever unless its an ssd. I love those things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

By an evening, I mean 3-4 hours of work. Typically I can build one in about an hour, then the time it takes for getting everything setup software wise.

It really isn't a bad option. Comes out to be around the same as a premade, you get exactly what you want, and can put any software you please on it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    By an evening, I mean 3-4 hours of work. Typically I can build one in about an hour, then the time it takes for getting everything setup software wise.

It really isn't a bad option. Comes out to be around the same as a premade, you get exactly what you want, and can put any software you please on it.
    This is the truth. Plus all of the stuff you can get crammed onto an ATX board is more than any of the mainstream offerings. Heck the little mini-itx boards have a bunch of stuff stuffed onto them too. They figured out the heat issue I suppose.

I think my house will be moving away from the server deal to a 1 or 2 TB NAS with a desktop that can display on the main TV in the house and then one laptop for travel. Tech is moving closer and closer to probably a central processing unit and then stations through a house where a display is located. The whole touch innovation has really flipped computing on its head.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Wife and I found a really good way to "Make Windows 8 Less Crappy," we ordered a new iMac. We have a friend that works for Apple, so the price was exactly the same as the Windows 8 machine we bought (and returned) earlier this year. Looking forward to NOT giving my money to a crappy company like Microsoft.

Nice!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Hey mac isn't a bad deal.....I just can't afford their prices. Good for you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Its not the investment in the overpriced apple computer that will get you. Its all the Starbucks coffee and beard pomade that goes along with it

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast