Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My new car camera: accident captured today

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    I am planning on getting one soon! Did a lot of reading and given the fact that a lot of drivers lie and insurance companies do not want to pay out but gladly take your money every month. Only thing I am not clear on right now is the legality of having them on base (for obvious reasons) and I had to do a LOT of reading over heat tolerances of these devices given where I am stationed right now. It can easily clear 140 in my 4runner during a summer day and sometimes I would dare say it gets to 200. I have no proof of that higher number but it takes 5 minutes for my 4runner to get to a cool temperature in the front.

I found a lot of support for this little guy and this specific vendor from a few locations regarding heat resistance, bang for buck, and quality.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/131208541342?...84.m1423.l2649

After further reading it might just be something I have to take out of the 4runner unless I'm travelling out of nowhere. Seems even the $400 cams won't stand up to the heat 29 palms is known to have. That's fine with me. Most people on base are decent enough drivers (can't say the same when it comes to watching for a bicycle).

Thanks for turning me on to this. I thought the only cameras out there were the GoPro type deals that demand your first born so you can record you crashing on a bicycle lol.
    I think the suction device would warp before the camera. I've had plenty of suction mounts give up the ghost from permanently being attached to the windshield. Hence, this clip on one seems like a better idea. We'll see how it works in practice.

Kryptoroxx,
    I have that G1W camera. It is much wider than it appears in the pic. works well, i have no complaints. that one is in my golf tdi. this one appears to be the one w/ the capacitor.

Yeah with the heat around here I don't think the battery would make it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Krypto's right about the heat up here. It's not unusual for my Scangauge to show an intake air temp somewhere around the 145-150deg range when I first start it in the summer. I can't imagine what it is inside our runners with the windows up. I've fried a rechargeable battery pack before that I forgot in the trunk of my wife's car. I would definitely consider a camera after the accident, I "caused" last year after a woman swiped a stopped car while trying to pass in a turn lane going 15 over and spun across two lanes only to hit the opposite side of my last vehicle. Luckily USAA paid more than the car was worth allowing me to pay off some bills and acquire my 3rd gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Past: 88 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360, 4wd R.I.P.

Bob, you have me completely sold on getting a dash cam; I just need to find one that will work for my daily driver. I want something that is mostly hidden behind the rear view mirror, both for the lack of distraction on my part (since many of them have LCD screens) and for lack of theft since I work in the ghetto.

The windshield of my daily driver (and most new cars) has a stippling on the glass above the mirror, so the camera has to have a view at mirror level or lower. One inexpensive camera that gets good reviews is the "mini 0803." Here it is in a car that has a stippled windshield like my DD.

The rearview mirror has 12V power and most cameras are powered by 5V, so I would likely try to stuff a transformer and the camera behind the mirror to reduce the amount of wiring I have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    The rearview mirror has 12V power and most cameras are powered by 5V, so I would likely try to stuff a transformer and the camera behind the mirror to reduce the amount of wiring I have to do.
    I just did the install of the autodim and now I have a 12v as well. I remember I used the 18-20ga to do the install but would that run the camera safely with the compass and autodim also active? I know it's not a ton of draw to run those objects but I just wanted to ask since I am not good at all with gadgets and how much they generally draw.

Also I found this for ya.

http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/category/favorites/

There's a couple of small cameras out there but if you're worried about the out of sight out of mind you might do better mounting it in the driver's side corner. Sometimes the most obvious places are the best places to hide.

I have to show people where the mic is for my bluetooth all the time and it's in that spot.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    Bob, you have me completely sold on getting a dash cam; I just need to find one that will work for my daily driver. I want something that is mostly hidden behind the rear view mirror, both for the lack of distraction on my part (since many of them have LCD screens) and for lack of theft since I work in the ghetto.
    Not like we're all made of money, but these things are relatively cheap for what they could potentially save you in a he said/she said car accident. My deductible is $500/year. I could by several of my 720p model if they all crapped out.

Buy it, try it, let us know!

My mom asked me why i dont have one in the back. Well as I understand CA laws, if you get rear ended, the other driver is 100% at fault anyways. It would be neat to see though someone texting and that "Oh s###" face right before they rear ended you.

Sweet: my camera arrived today in the mail. Can't wait to try it out. I think the biggest change will be the width of the mirror. Stock mirror on the Golf is 12" or so. This one is about 14". I'm interested in the additional depth that the mirror will add as well as the night time clarity of the rear view mirror itself. Let you fart smellers know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    My mom asked me why i dont have one in the back. Well as I understand CA laws, if you get rear ended, the other driver is 100% at fault anyways. It would be neat to see though someone texting and that "Oh s###" face right before they rear ended you.

Sweet: my camera arrived today in the mail. Can't wait to try it out. I think the biggest change will be the width of the mirror. Stock mirror on the Golf is 12" or so. This one is about 14". I'm interested in the additional depth that the mirror will add as well as the night time clarity of the rear view mirror itself. Let you fart smellers know how it works out.
    I am considering one just because if you have video of the accident it can also prevent insurance fraud with injuries. Even if you aren't paying higher premiums for it you could save your insurance company some cash. I use that kind of thing as leverage lol.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I also think it might be overkill lol.

In Progress: