Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My new car camera: accident captured today

It's a numbers game. What is the likelihood of someone winning their case when they rear end you and what is the chance of you winning your case when someone cuts you off and slams on the brakes? Now what if you have a camera at the respective end.

The front facing camera makes much more sense. This is where the insurance fraud aspects come into play. If you can prove you weren't at fault, that's a big deal. Especially if the other party is insisting you are at fault. It stands as a great independent witness. If someone rear ends you, burden of proof is on them.

After some close calls, I'll be buying one tomorrow. Drivers are crazy.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    It's a numbers game. What is the likelihood of someone winning their case when they rear end you and what is the chance of you winning your case when someone cuts you off and slams on the brakes? Now what if you have a camera at the respective end.

The front facing camera makes much more sense. This is where the insurance fraud aspects come into play. If you can prove you weren't at fault, that's a big deal. Especially if the other party is insisting you are at fault. It stands as a great independent witness. If someone rear ends you, burden of proof is on them.

After some close calls, I'll be buying one tomorrow. Drivers are crazy.
    When it rains it pours eh?

Might not be this paycheck but the next one that I get to the camera. Not too much traffic up here but when I go down the hill I usually have at least one idiot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Got mine yesterday, mounted it up today. Video looks pretty good so far. I will drive over to the carwash tonight and then pull the video. If it's interesting enough, I'll post it up.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Was running at 720p but not thrilled with the quality so I cranked it up to 1080p. I'll check tomorrow when I get home.

Sean, which one did you end up getting? I'm driving quite a bit now and people are just crazy on the road. I want one ASAP. I just can't find one that I like for a decent price.
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

So a little input on this, I downloaded an app for my phone that works as a dash cam, I have to test it a little first and i will report back

Here is a sample video:
    http://youtu.be/4J5LQu2RQwM

Be sure to click on 1080P!

It's a pretty nice camera. I might crank up the contrast to hopefully get license plates to show up a little better. It's pretty small, and mounts with double sided tape to the windshield. There isn't a great place to put it in my 3rd gen, maybe if the mirror sat a little lower or back from the windshield more. I put it behind the mirror on the passenger side.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2014 at 06:57 PM.

I'll admit I was staring at your high beams most of the time.

For it being mounted a little right of center it still catches a very broad angle. I like it. You're able to get all the lanes, on coming traffic, vehicles on the side of the road and street signs. I don't think I'd monkey with it to catch license plates. It is possible to see them from a still (on the computer or the camera screen)?

Some you can pick out when its paused. I will play with the on camera settings to find optimal settings for it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast