Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: My new car camera: accident captured today

Got my dashcam today, this thing rocks. I ended up getting the "E-Prance Mini 0803" as recommended here by Techmoan, and mine shaft tested and roll approved by our own Seanz0rz.

It does 1280p, but I'm using the 1080p HD mode with sound, stored on a 32gb Class 10 SD card (only $17!), and mounted behind the rearview mirror on my daily driver Nissan Leaf.

The rearview mirror has power for the auto-dimming feature, so the easiest route was to tap the mirror with a small 12V to 5V micro usb transformer I bought on amazon shown here:

I used double stick tape to attach the tranformer to the back of the mirror. Then I needed to hide the 5' cord. Rather than learning how to shorten a USB cable, I stuffed the excess cable inside a piece of heatshrink and double stick taped it to the back of the mirror as well.

And here is the view inside the car; nothing to see here:

This is what you see if you look behind the mirror:

Video quality is excellent. We all know Youtube drastically compresses video, so this doesn't do it justice at all, but at least you can see the wide angle view. **Be sure to change the video quality to 1080p HD in Youtube by clicking on the little gear icon--otherwise, it's not even worth watching.**
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPus6UnyyyE

In the raw video you can very clearly read street signs, license plate numbers, all the important things.

Bob and Sean, thanks for talking me into this. I hope I don't ever need to use the footage, but if I do, I'm glad its there.
    Last edited by paddlenbike; 10-03-2014 at 08:56 PM.

You'll have great video when you flop your Leaf in the dunes!

That looks like a slightly improved version of what I have. I am extremely happy with mine!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    Got my dashcam today...
    How much did you end up paying? The one that's linked is 109.99!
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    You'll have great video when you flop your Leaf in the dunes!
    Exactly!

How much did you end up paying? The one that's linked is 109.99!
    I bought the model with no internal storage and no GPS, which is $99. (I paid $104, but the price has dropped.) The older 0801 model can be had for ~$70. After seeing techmoan's review comparing the two models, I was willing to pay the extra $30, but the original one is still highly regarded.

Ken,

Awesome you got the camera!

On another note, found this vid of a slow speed accident. Glad the girl is ok, but could you imagine if the guy didnt have the dash cam video in this instance?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b0a_1412587528

Exactly why I purchased mine, to show how an accident that would otherwise look like my fault is not.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Wow Mike.

I am beginning to think these dashcams are bad luck. As soon as people get them, bad things happen. A guy on one of my other forums had just got his dash cam, and then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=5YaS0w4EXTY

That was somewhere in the bay area.

Is there a capacitor mod for the 801? I looked into these a bit. The price is getting to where its easy to cough up the money for the piece of mind.

It has a small internal battery, enough to let it run a minute or few after you turn off the vehicle.

I think they also sell a cap model but it is more expensive.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast