Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Front and back clunk --- still not fixed

Front and back clunk --- still not fixed

Hi folks,

Is it just me doing a ton of maintenance these days??!

So I have this weird clunk coming from the front part of my 4runner. Sounds like the driver's side. Yesterday morning, I saw that the cv boot was torn. So I bought a new one thinking that might be the culprit. Installed today, but still hear the clunk. I hear this clunk only when I take off from dead stop to first.

Out of frustration (and also b/c I had it parked too far to the end of my garage), I pushed the 4runner back so I could squeeze my fat arse to get a tool. Well it made that clunk sound. It's more like a click. So I put my hands on the hood and rocked the 4runner back and forth. I could hear the clunk/click sound loud and clear. What I really need is a 2nd hand to do that for me, so I can crawl underneath and listen for the exact location.

So after doing a few rocks back and forth, I went upstairs and did some more internets searching. Most of my research pointed to:

1) Loose lower shock bolt
    2) Tranny mount
    3) Engine mount
    4) U-joint

So I'm going to tighten up the shock bolts and check on pricing/availability on #2 and #3. Olanthe Toyota in GA's pricing is $238 total for all the engine mount parts (4) plus the tranny mount. Yikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd inspect the u-joints first. Seems like a pretty easy fix and not too expensive.

Go look at the top and bottom mounting of the front shocks too.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I'd inspect the u-joints first. Seems like a pretty easy fix and not too expensive.

Go look at the top and bottom mounting of the front shocks too.
    Sean,

What should i be looking for on the u-joints?

I would say radial play (although play in any direction should be noted). So hold the rear tires tight (ebrake), put trans in N, and try to twist the d-shaft back and forth. You will have play in the gears, if you sense excessive play between the pinion flange and the axle, then it's a gear problem. Hold the pinion flange and d-shaft and twist opposite ways. If it moves, the u joint at the pinion is bad. If it is solid, then try turning the output of the tcase while turning the dshaft the other way and see if the double cardan is bad.

There will be a bunch of play in the driveline. Think about when you park on a hill in an auto. It will roll a bit until all the slack is taken up. This is from the parking pawl in the transmission, the gears/chain in the tcase, each u joint, the gears in the rear diff, and even the sidewalls of the tires flexing. Noticing a bad u joint should be pretty obvious though.

For those that have experienced a bad u joint, what other tell tale signs were there? As far as I know, I have never experienced one.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Ok I thought I nailed down the problem, but fixed another non related problem instead. So I donned the mechanic monkey suit last night at 10pm and rocked the truck from the front. I could hear a tell tale click every time it rocked back. So I got to the center of the vehicle and rocked it using the sliders. Much harder effort because I'm now pushing laterally instead of using body weight. Then I got the bright idea of getting on my back and using my legs to rock the truck. It appeared to be coming from the center. But as I started rocking it some more, it was coming from the rear. That's when I noticed that the driver side rear lower control arm at the lower bolt point was loose. YAH baby. Could this be the source of the click sound I've been hearing in the front? Tightened that up (it was somewhat loose), did the other side. tightened up the 4 bolts securing the rear sway bar since I was down there, got up, and thought I'd give it a push. So no clicking. Niiice. But still wasn't sure that this was the issue but hopefull nonetheless.

Got in the truck, backed up, put it in 1st gear, bang/click sound from the front again. Faaarrrrg. The sound usually rears its head when i let go of the clutch a little hard w/ gas from stop to 1st. The sound is definitely coming from the front. At the very least, that clicking sound caused from the rear LCAs has been eliminated.

So tonight, I'll be removing the front driver's tire and poking around. Well, I'll be tightening up any suspension related nut & bolt
    there is for sure.

Keep you folks posted.

Loose swaybar, loose control arms, perhaps loose cv? Maybe a mount?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Loose swaybar, loose control arms, perhaps loose cv? Maybe a mount?
    CJM:

Yup, gonna take a look at those swaybar bolts. I changed out the driver's CV on Sunday, it's solid. Considering changing out motor mounts, but it seems to be coming from the front driver's side for sure.

maybe if you can get someone to help you. I don't know if you are able to lay down under your truck, but I would get under there and have someone put it in first gear, you should be able to narrow it down to a spot much quicker that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    Then I got the bright idea of getting on my back and using my legs to rock the truck.
    You should have got that on video, haha.

It seems like several of your past issues have simply been loose bolts/nuts. I would get under the truck with a socket set and tighten everything under there. Sounds are never located where you think they are and I'm always surprised how a loose shock bolt or skid plate sounds like something completely different. Also, check the windshield washer reservoir in the passenger wheel well. Mine damn near fell off on Saline Valley Road in Death Valley. I know your truck has been on that road too.

Sounds like it was 'leg day' at Bob's!

I think the biggest problem here is the "loose nut" behind the wheel!

Ok ok, enough jokes at Bob's expense.

I guess I need to do the same. I have so many clunks now it is unbelievable. I think I will pull the air bags out of the rear end to see if that settles some of my noises. I have found a bag that is more suitable to the FZJ coils, but the kit is about $120, so it is not an inexpensive experiment to make.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 12-17-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast