Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK fans? My current build up plans

AK fans? My current build up plans

Hey all,

I know most of you seem to have ARs, but I wonder if there's any AK fans out here. I've pretty much given up for now on building my AR for now. I own a MAK-90 that I purchased right before the GWB 1's AWB ban. I've read the hell out of the 922R federal law in order to "de-fang" it and build it with some more shall we say "ergonomically friendly" features, namely a pistol grip. Living in Kalifornia-stan, I would need to add a bullet button too. To be extra safe, I should by some US built mags too.

I'll post pictures later, but for all you AK builders out there (specifically non-threaded MAK-90s), the evil parts count of foreign parts is 15. I need to get it down to 10 or less. There's a great worksheet that I can't post from my trabajo, but basically my plan is to replace the following:

- Tapco G2 trigger group (minus 3 parts from the 15 above)
    - US built stock set. I plan to make mine look more like a non-traditional look like an Israeli Galil and looking at Ace Ltd's stock set (minus 2). Lots of people seem to like Ironwood's designs of the traditional wood stock, so that's a 2nd option.
    - Adding a bullet button. Haven't researched that.
    - Buying some polymer magazines. I think Tapco makes them but I read they are so-so. I believe I read Intratec makes them too. Unfortunately 10 rounders will be the largest mags I can buy. FYI, if i use my Chinese mags, that adds back three to the parts count so I'd be out of compliance. Fawk the govt's stupid laws!

So I got the Tapco G2 trigger group and I also bought a Red Star shepherd's hook (doesn't deduct evil points) and waiting on some polishing heads to polish certain faces on the trigger group parts. I need to purchase a bullet button contraption. Any AK builders out there recommend one?

Fun, fun minus all this compliance bull####.

I don't own one or see one in my future but am a fan.

So you've had this thing for awhile? Do you ever shoot it? In it's current state isn't it a no no to have (other than a pile of parts), transport, shoot? I was looking at shot guns the other day and a guy walked in with a pre ban M1 Garand. They basically told the guy to get out, take it home, take a few parts off and never tell anyone he ever brought it to their shop.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    I don't own one or see one in my future but am a fan.

So you've had this thing for awhile? Do you ever shoot it? In it's current state isn't it a no no to have (other than a pile of parts), transport, shoot? I was looking at shot guns the other day and a guy walked in with a pre ban M1 Garand. They basically told the guy to get out, take it home, take a few parts off and never tell anyone he ever brought it to their shop.
    I've had this since the hmmm...1994? I think. I'll be in compliance as soon as I install the fire control group and the bullet button. That's just the gun itself. Then I'll have to buy some 10rd US made mags, so when I go shooting, i'll still be in full compliance.

I have not shot it in many, many years, about 3 years. The way it was configured (and how 922R works) is that if it was imported and in the US during that AWB period, it was legally grandfathered even though it has 15 evil foreign parts. So up until recently, I could shoot it no problems. But the problem becomes when you start to defang it. Then you have to remove 5 of the 15 evil parts. So you couldn't just put a new pistol grip and stock on it because that only lowers the parts count by 2 (leaving you with 3 more to hit the magic 10 number). And now I have to add a bullet button and use US built mags.

The whole thing is silly stupid just like our liberal politicians who think that defanging from foreign to US parts will somehow make people safer against a mass murder/criminal---who more than likely would care less about foreign vs US parts.

Never about safety, always about control...

The only AK I have ever fired was the 12gauge semiauto shotgun version. Most fun I have ever had...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Never about safety, always about control...

The only AK I have ever fired was the 12gauge semiauto shotgun version. Most fun I have ever had...
    Sounds like a SAIGA variant. shotguns are fun

AK's are always fun, and MAK's are nice.

z0rz - Saigas are ALWAYS a blast.

I have a SERIOUS SERIOUS want for a VEPR 7.62x54R right now, about $1200 but it is an AK variant built around the russian 7.62x54R cartridge (from Mosin Nagant fame)
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

No pics in a gun thread with more than 1 post? Blasphemy!

I'm also a fan of AK's... I'll probably buy an AK before an AR... but I would like both. Luckily I don't live in Kalifornia-stan so I don't have to worry about magazine capacity and whatnot. At least not yet... this is a liberal state so I'm sure I will have to worry soon enough.
    Last edited by fenrisx; 12-22-2013 at 04:04 PM.

fenrisx,

I'll post up pics when I get back home. On vacation now. Of worthy note, the inventor of the AK died just a few days ago. His background is quite interesting as he was NOT a trained mechanical engineer by any means. He overheard some soldiers complaining about their current rifle and designed a submachine gun that addressed the needs of those complaints he heard. While this may be assuming too much, because he didn't have that formal training, he designed something that was simple and reliable--an uncomplicated weapon that any Russian conscript could understand and use!

For anyone interested (on the tails of Bob's last post, but trying not to derail the thread any further) here is a biography of Mikhail - a modern one, written with him, rather than some of the earlier ones that were mostly politically charged propaganda BS from the motherland.
    I have read it and its a good read.

41nLVt6wy6L.jpg http://www.amazon.com/The-Gun-that-C.../dp/0745636926
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Here's the pics

Right now, it has a Choate stock set which helped the balance of the gun as the wood thumbhole stock was was too heavy in the rear end. I'm keeping the foregrip. On top of that, I replaced the top gas tube with an Ultimak gas tube for the purposes of adding a cheap reflex sight (which I haven't even tried!):

Tapco G2 fire control group and Red Star Arms retaining plate (everyone said this was a good add on). Trigger group will be deflashed (casting ridges on certain parts) and polished in certain places. There are many writeups on this:

Ace Limited receiver block (compact version) and modular stock set. Unfortunately the AK versions do not have a foam tube for cheek rest. The compact receiver block is flush with the receiver so the upper tang needs to be cut off. I'm sure purists will scoff, but I don't intend to sell this rifle.

Finally, a Hogue pistol grip:

I should be getting everything but the Ace Ltd pieces by the end of the week. Not sure about the Ace parts as I've read they take their time. In the meantime, I'll be polishing those FCG parts possibly later today. BMW is acting up yet again as of yesterday. I may sell that cursed car, it's one problem after another.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast