Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AK fans? My current build up plans

Yeah, just like any State agency I'd get that in writing. It might be better just to use calguns for the info you need and act only when you need to. Having said that I'd write to DOJ with a fake name asking about a gun that a friend of an uncle might have to avoid a boat ride and extended stay in Cuba.

Yes, what Mike said.. you dont want to be the kid who asks the teacher if "one written page" means front and back...

Sent from my tappy tappy thingy
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    Chris,

Mike: send me your address and I'll mail you one. I have a bag of 10, only needed one to do the job
    Did you buy a Cratex kit? I didn't realize they are rubber abrasives but i like that. Seems a little more forgiving and even if only used for clean up it will leave things nice and smooth. A quick google search shows kits which look very tempting.

I've asked the question re: RAW and modifications vis-a-vis 922R. We'll see what they say. I did ask for a duplicate copy of my registration. We'll see if I get one.

Mike: i didn't buy a cratex kit but just the heads. I bought a 10 pack of polishing heads too w/ an included dremel mandrel. I bought some polishing compounds from Lowe's today too. They were $3 each and different grit level:

Of course I couldn't wait to finish work to polish them!

Oh I wanted to add: polishing metal is pretty kick ass. I know, it sounds really benign and dull, but I guess its a "feel" thing. If I were to do this again, I'd buy some extra mandrels for each polishing type. that way you don't have to unscrew and replace the heads each time you change a compound type.

And then I rec'd this in today's mail:

I can see why everyone raves about Hogue grips. Of note, this one doesn't have a storage thing at the base of the pistol grip. That model is about $7 more. I think I'll stuff a hankerchief in the hollow space. I have bad allergies, lol

I'm not a huge fan of their pistol grips but I have plastic guns so I make due. I'd like to do a stippling job on one but otherwise the grips fit well.

I do however have the Hogue stock for my 10/22 and I really enjoy it.

I am the complete opposite, I much prefer the pistol grip. It lets me position my arm in such a way it does not hurt my shoulder. I have only held a gun with the Hogue grip, never fired, so I am not sure if I prefer that over any other. I did find a friend's knurled 1911 to be downright painful to shoot, cutting into my baby soft skin.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 12-31-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I guess I should say I don't prefer Hogue grips on pistols.

Pistol grips on certain rifles are great so in that respect I do agree.

My LC9 is nice and thin (and short) which is great for carry but requires the shooter to hold it pretty tight just to hang on. The plastic knurling can be a little rough on the hands. My G21 on the other hand is quite wide and comfortable in stock form.

So got a call today from CA DOJ on my first request. Very professional but a little to hard to understand. I just need to submit a notarized letter verifying who I am as well as a copy of my DL. As for the RAW and 922r, I did some homework on Calguns.net, the relationship and it's what I thought: I can do whatever to the rifle but because I'm making modifications, 922r applies. What I couldn't find (but will ask other members tonight) is the magazine question (10 vs 30 rd). I didn't see a clear answer to that. Also, I didn't see if my RAW status would change if I made modifications.

I applied some grip tape to the foregrip last night too. I don't shoot with gloves and I always hated how my palms become sweaty and loose a little grip.

Ok cool, just updating you folks:

- Got my notarized letter at my bank for free (woot) and ready to send it to the CA DOJ tonight.

Got another call from another DOJ guy who was very patient and thorough answering my list of questions. Since its a RAW gun, I can add pretty much anything to it BUT within the confines of the Federal law 922r. They said that its actually the receiver that’s registered, not the entire gun. So modify as I wish, but again, within the confines of 922r. So I’m on the right track. The other things he answered:

- Possession and Use of 30 rd mags ok so long as I purchased them before 1/1/2001. But since my mods will bring it down to 10, the act of loading the 30rd mag brings the parts count back up to 13 (illegal). Confusing huh? So to be super duper compliant, I'm going to purchase some US made 10 rd mags, most likely from Tapco.

- No bullet button!

- Keep RAW paper work with the gun. He said that lots of people put a copy of it in the buttstock or in the pistol grip. He reiterated keeping the paper work together at all times with the gun.

- I asked for a written response and he seemed to hesitate, but then he said “Well since you did send a written letter, we’re obligated to send you a written response.” He did say it would require supervisor approval and might take some time, but I said it’s cool and don’t mind that it takes time and that I just wanted to avoid potential hassle.” He laughed and agreed that “It’s good you’re playing it safe”.

Just waiting for the Ace parts. No shipping notice. Be patient, be patient (says to myself)!

Stock parts arrived in early Jan and finally got around to doing the modifications to make it fit. First thing to do was to cut off the upper tang. This is one of the reasons why many don't like to use this rear stock receiver plate, but the universal receiver plate adds unnecessary length. Not to mention, AK purists would scoff at doing this. Anyways, I chose my path and I'm sticking to it. After cutting the tang off, I sanded down the excess and then inserted the buttplate receiver. The fit was very tight and it required it to be hammered down into the actual receiver. Used a wood block and rubber mallet to do this. Nervous, yes. But the plastic is of good quality. After that, it was just a matter of screwing in the butt stock and then screwing in the Hogue grip. The hardest part actually was screwing in the Hogue grip because the buttstock receiver has a piece that raises the grip retainer just a fraction to change the angle. Screwing it down took a good 10 minutes. Frustrating. But anyways, it's done. Definitely a lighter gun now, the pistol grip too gives the rifle a much better feel. Time to shoot. Need to organize a safe shooting party in the desert.

Cutting off tang

Buttstock receiver in place. There are two positions you can screw the stock into with two allen screws

Stock and pistol grip

After this, I will replace the fire control group.

Overall, I like the fit and feel. But range time will determine the final say. Has a Israeli Galil rifle look to it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123